1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are You Annoyed By Retweets?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, May 8, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am a fairly avid follower of Twitter with a fairly short list of feeds that I like to follow to keep things manageable.

I find myself increasing annoyed at "retweets" from those that I subscribe to and in some cases have taken them off my list.

Many of the retweets fall into something that someone is promoting or selling.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I stopped following two colleagues because they feel the need to re-tweet everything that every athlete they follow says. Your re-tweets need to have impact, just as your tweets should.

3. Boom_70

Exactly - don't waste my time. Don't break that bond of trust.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

RT. :D

5. Boom_70

On a related subject some loser asks for a retweet because it's their birthday.

6. Boom - my wife is your biggest fan and it would mean a lot if I could get a RT for her birthday

7. BTW - if I wanted to follow Jose Canseco - I'd follow Jose Canseco. Retweeting his verbal diarrhea just makes me want to unfollow you.

8. Boom_70

@ Boom

9. Thanks but today's not her birthday

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Between excessive retweeters and people that tweet WAY too often (Darren Rovell), I've gotten rid of about 25 people I followed. I'm down to about 30, though only about a dozen of those tweet regularly.

I don't like clutter, in my apartment or on my Twitter feed.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK, so this is the second time today I've heard about this phenomenon. I was oblivious before. The first was in a Tribune column on annoying social media behavior, and one of them was celebrity stalking. She said that pre-teens spend all day trying to get Justin Bieber to reply or retweet them, and that grown adults will ask celebs like Kim Kardashian to retweet them on their birthday, just like you said.

Since I don't cover a beat, I have hardly any celebrities, athletes or otherwise, in my feed. It's almost all media people or publications.

12. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It's the new autograph.

Draft saved Draft deleted