1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an interesting person?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Just recently nuked my account for the very reasons you mention.

To address the original poster, I think that in this day and age a lot of times being "interesting" has become an affectation. Run a marathon. Bungee jump. It's cool to do those things, but I think if you're just checking off your life list, then that's not that interesting because everyone does them now. I'm thinking about the character on "Parks & Recreation" recently that Leslie Poehler's character dated. He was precisely that type, and portrayed as an annoying one-upper.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure that you can be interesting even without having bungee jumped.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Unless you have lots of time and money, long drives are generally less than interesting. Unless you're a fan of concrete, in which case you're wildly uninteresting to begin with. To piggyback a bit on Waylon's comment, the concept of "interesting" is similar to the concept of "unique." If you're purposely trying to become them, you're neither.

4. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I actually think journalists as a whole are more interesting than other people. We used to laugh when we'd all go out and at the end of the night say, "No one is as interesting as us." And while it was a joke, having been to lots of parties where there are no journalists there, many of those people are flat-out boring. Or boors. The thing that's interesting about most journalists is they are naturally curious. They're curious about other people and the world around them. They want to know what makes it tick. They want to know how things happen and why. That makes you interesting. Now there are others in other fields who are interesting but the main thing they have in common is they are curious.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She's flirting.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK. What makes a person interesting? I would say in an office setting, the more people are able to gossip about your personal life, the more interesting you are.

In life, I think a variety of experiences helps make you interesting, but it's more important to have a strong, upbeat personality and ability to express yourself.

You could be a Supreme Court justice and be a boring dinner date. Or you could be a dishwasher and be fascinating.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

[​IMG]

The most interesting monkey in the world.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Intersting people have interesting stories to tell. If you do not want to go someplace, do something in your town, like volunteering at a soup kitchen, that will give you stories to make you interesting.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

To be interesting to your co-workers, accomplish your dreams.

Or shag the boss' wife.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

She wants you, Trey.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rarely do stories make the teller interesting. It's more of a vicarious actvitiy. I would think it's much more interesting to be the subject of a story than the narrator.

Draft saved Draft deleted