1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an expert?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Apr 17, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are so Fucking wrong it's unbelievable, arm tucked into body until after impact. Clean hit, period. But because it happened to somebody playing in Pittsburgh the fanboy in you comes out. Now that is laughable. Leopold had his head down, it was a north south hit and Sutton is about 5 inches taller than him.

I believe you compared this to Cooke's hit on Savard, if you truly believe this, than I suggest you start watching a little more hockey outside of your beloved Pens.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Twoback, here is a hit by one your Pens that did not get supplemental discipline but probably should have. This hit by Malkin ended Mitchell's season. A hit from behind where a player is defensless, I'm sure this one was ok becaus the offending player resides in Pittsburgh.

Malkin gets off pretty easy when it comes to talk of that "dirty" Russian. I guess in Pens fans minds there can be only one dirty Russian.

3. okay, not sure why you are getting so worked up. But this kind of hit - and its arguable about whether Sutton's elbow made the main contact - is what is being discussed -- that the checking player has to have some measure of recognition that the hit could be exactly what it was.
    Sutton can hit Leopold, but he doesn't have to come gliding in from 10 feet and fucking destroy the guy, head down or not.
    The fact Sutton's momentum takes him stumbling into the boards shows how reckless the hit was

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It the Pittsburgcentric BS that Twoback spews.

I also think you're wrong, it's a contact sport. How else is he suppose to hit Sutton? Sutton is 5 or 6 inches bigger than Leopold and Leopold has his head down. It was not a blindside hit and Leopold should never be skating through the neutral zone with his head down like that.

5. my point is Sutton could have hit him - hard, even - without trying to kill the guy. He tried to kill the guy. Its unnecessary. Sutton took himself out of the play, for pete's sake.
    It aint hockey when there's a guy lying on the ice with his eyeballs in the back of his head. It just aint.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is a lot like a Hines Ward hit on skates, right?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is if it's clean, sorry but it's a contact sport. Has anyone on the Pens or around the league even complained? I ask honestly as I don't know. From what I've seen and heard it's been regarded as a clean hit.

Why not just make it non-contact beer league hockey, where guys skate around with there heads down all game.

8. you're correct when you say its a sport. But its not warfare

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So should we take the contact out of the game? Or should we say if you have your head down you can't be hit??You are taught from day 1 not to skate through the neutral zone with your head down. Again, clean hit, from what I've seen people who understand the game get this.

10. there is clearly little point in debating the issue with you. You are the expert.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Let's keep it to the journalism debate, not the hit.

12. cwilson3

cwilson3 Member

You obviously haven't seen this play.

Draft saved Draft deleted