1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an expert?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Indeed, his timing on the right analog stick was sublime.

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

I've known Ian Mendes for years ... and he's as right as rain ... no question of his objectivity ... the Ottawa market may be small, but it is as discriminating about it's hockey coverage as any, and Ian is as sharp as they come ....

3. never underestimate the ability of the geniuses at sportsjournalists.com to "evaluate" a person / situation based on little to no information
    Mendes, to his great credit, would not be wounded by the slagging he has taken here based on a "bio" on a website
    I get a lot out of this site, but there is much that makes me cringe

4. Colin Dunlap

Colin Dunlap Member

Full disclosure, I work w/ Ray. But A thought here:
    To appear objective, you probably shouldn't post things such as the following on your Twitter account, such as Mendes did the day of Pens/Sens Game 2
    ----

About to enter Penguins room. Who thinks I should ask Sidney Crosby about playing in the last ever game at Mellon Arena tonight? ;-) 10:56 AM Apr 16th via OpenBeak

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

fish,

Not trying to take sides here. Just painting a picture. I personally disagreed with Mr. Fittipaldo's question -- and saw why Sutton would react that way to it -- but don't have any issue with the man.

I thought he did a great job of keeping his cool.

EF

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have a dog in the fight, and that was a bad question.

If I am working PR in the room for the Sens, and I hear that question, I immediatly move over and get into "just-in-case" position.

How about...

Many people feel your elbow might have been up on that hit. Would you like to comment on the hit and the position of your elbow?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Dude deserved to be called out. If you aren't getting what you need, why keep saying the same thing? And it wasn't on the replay.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ouch. Not cool, Ian.

From the way Crosby has played in the last two games, it would appear that Mendes did indeed ask him that question, and Crosby has responded by making Ottawa players look as foolish as possible.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Bull. Elbow was clearly up, and the major part of the injury-causing contact.
    Now, one can try to excuse the reason for the elbow coming up, which is more bull, but it does not take an expert to know whether a human being's elbow is tucked to his side or extended.
    Ray was right. I just wish he'd said, "I have eyes."

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

He elbowed Leopold in the head. The elbow is essentially the only part of Sutton's body that struck Leopold directly, and the only place where Leopold is contacted is in the head.
    The people trying to excuse this hit are unbelievable.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not true.

Not even one little bit.

Watch the video. Watch all the replays. His elbow was NOT up. Anybody who says it was is a liar.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

cwilson3 is absolutely correct. That's exactly how it happened.

It was the upper arm, between the elbow and the shoulder, that hit Leopold. Keep in mind, Sutton is six inches taller than Leopold.

Draft saved Draft deleted