1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you an expert?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Ray Fittipaldo exchange with Andy Sutton. Worth watching.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What a fucking douchenozzle.

Dude said he saw it on the replay. Just answer the fucking question without being an ass.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Well, the reporter was wrong, it was a clean hit. His elbow was tucked into his body.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Exactly. Why the hell should he answer the question when he knows it's based on a false premise?

If Fittipaldo had really seen the replay, he'd know that Sutton's elbow came up after the hit, because of the momentum associated with the collision.

5. derwood

derwood Active Member

Incident in question

Ian Mendes: Ask the expert
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2010/04/17/sutton_mendes/

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Mendes here, and agree that the hit looked clean. But this is the first time I've ever seen a journalist call out another journalist for a line of questioning. Sure, we've all said in our heads, "What was he thinking asking that?" But I've never seen anyone actually call someone out in a column with such detail.

7. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I'm not big on hockey, so I don't know the difference between a clean and dirty hit, but that guy who put the check on brought his arm up on the hit.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree with Mendes. Three questions were apparently asked, so what else could be asked?

But, if he wanted to pursue the issue, the reporter should have asked, "the replay seems to show your elbow coming up at least after, if not during the hit; was that your intent? Or, was it just part of finishing a hit?"

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

clean hit, plain and simple. Reporter was an ass, a Pittsburgh fan boy.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not another one!

11. tagline

tagline Member

I don't know this Mendes guy from anybody. I'd never heard of him until I read this thread. But I thought this part of his official bio might explain why he sticks up for the player: "In December 2001, I had a very difficult choice to make: Keep my job in the Ottawa Senators PR department or jump 'to the dark side' and take a TV reporting job with Sportsnet."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/bios/ian_mendes/

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought PR was the so-called dark side. ???

Draft saved Draft deleted