1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you always "on the job?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

I don't mind if I get calls (from sources) on my cell when I'm off or on vacation because I'm glad they're calling me with info. I'll work 24/7 when I have to at busy times and I'm always thinking of story ideas when I'm off. When I was on vacation, I stayed away from the office. I checked my voice mail a couple of times but didn't follow up on any of the calls -- none were pressing. I didn't even think of checking e-mail. As a preps writer, summers do slow down as far as breaking news is concerned, although there is a coaching change story I have to write that happened while I was gone.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It is weird. I usually incorporate either aspect of my job — sports and journalism — into a vacation. Go see a paper. Go see games. Didn't do it this time. I was about as far removed from it all as one could be, in a figurative sense (I was up in Philly, so it wasn't like there weren't any sports to be seen).

Nice to be back, though not back at work yet...

3. NQLBLQ

NQLBLQ Member

I think that was some form of a haiku, well played.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Apparently.

I've spent a certain chunk of my last night at the beach handling a story on our local arena-style football team's last game of the season. Last game ever, maybe.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

My girlfriends and I had our first "fight" about work. we haven't seen too much of each other because of my crazy schedule.
    I told her she needs to get used to it and when I don't have to work, I can dedicate time to her.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'd pick the one who can live with your job. Girlfriends are always trouble. A girlfriend is easier to deal with - a newspaper job and juggling honeys just don't mix.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You are NOT going to win that fight, I can assure you.

Find a girl who's not going to resent you for your "crazy schedule."

Draft saved Draft deleted