1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you always "on the job?"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

i have vacay at the end of july. i'm so used to never taking a vacay, that i have no idea what to do for this one. 9 days.

any ideas?

2. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I started to post my own experience, but this says it as well or better than I could. Yes, I'm "always on" -- I think you almost have to be in this job -- but I don't let it consume my life. I think my wife would agree, for the most part.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Bourbon Co. Fair?

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

very nice

5. joe

joe Active Member

You first. I'm not holding my breath.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

:D Well, it would be a nice 5-year reunion tour back to Fort Scott. Maybe I could stay a night in Dodge City again.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

On weekends, I ignore phone calls from my boss. If she calls me on a Saturday and asks me to call her back, I don't deal with it until Monday. Period.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hey, work ain't calling me when I'm on vacation. Can't get through, when I'm on SJ all the time. :D

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Until they really do need to reach you, and you come back to find a For Sale sign on your desk.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Two weeks ago I was on vacation. From three hours away, I ...

1.) Did photo assignments for that week that I forgot to do in the mad rush to do 1,000 things before I left.
    2.) Went over the daily sports budget with the page designer/copy editor before our newsroom budget meeting.
    3.) Reviewed the front page every morning to critique it.
    4.) Was called by a boss about a vacant position at our paper and my thoughts about it.
    5.) Spoke with another boss about said vacant position we had at the paper.
    6.) Checked my work e-mail almost every day.

I am a sad, sad person.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Teach us, sensei.

----------------

I know the feeling, Xan. I have two weeks coming next month, and odds are I'll have no idea what to do with myself.

12. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Moddy, I'd call it an addiction. The Granny ain't trying to sound cool or nothing, but the best drug I've ever had is my job as a sports columnist. Seriously. And it stayed that way even after I made someone The Grandpa.

Draft saved Draft deleted