1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you afraid to die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Many nights I have to paginate obits, a process that includes uploading photos of the deceased into the system before placing them on the page. I look at each face and wonder what the person might have been like. Some of the looks on their faces tell a million stories.

One guy whose pic I just uploaded into the system tonight looked proud yet melancholy. I stared at his mug a few seconds longer than I did the other 6 people I had to upload. Don't know why. Just something about his expression.

Sometimes, a particular obit really strikes a chord with me. One woman's obit a few months back started, to the effect, Mildred Smith wanted to tell her friends that she has a new address, and it's in God's house. The rest of the obit was really sweet and charming and funny.

Anyhoo, I like to think I'll live forever. Unfortunately, I won't. But I'm not really scared to die.

Does thinking about your mortality spook you? If so, what scares you the most about dying?

Well, back to placing dead people on the page ...

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Great. I'm going to have nightmares tonight. I'm petrified about dying and the negligence of when or how it'll happen.

My initial thought about dying is this: What then happens to you when you die? Is that it? Are you put into a casket and lowered into the ground and that's it?

I don't consider myself a very religious person nor do I reject the notion of there being a higher power, either.

I have many views about, but none of which will probably make sense.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm more afraid to live.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I get the willies just thinking about it.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

[​IMG]

"Now we are free. I will see you again. But not yet, not yet."

Pretty much how I feel, too.

(EDIT: Fucking Tripod.)

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Not afraid to die. I'm not religious. I have no belief in being judged or any other nonsense. I will just cease to exist in the same way I did not exist before I was born.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Bad image from where I'm looking, buck.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Tripod sets you free!

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not in the least. In fact, and this sounds extremely morbid, I'm kind of looking forward to it. I want to know how I'll die. I want it to be heroic, something magnificent that'll be remembered and talked about for lifetimes, something people will wish upon themselves at some point.

But I'll probably die because I ate spoiled cheese off a sidewalk for $4.30.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Don't worry Mikey. I'll tell your family that you refused to eat it until the bidding hit $8.37.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

Do you fear death?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I do fear what will happen if my poll isn't in on time, slapps.

Draft saved Draft deleted