1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a workaholic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes I am, methinks.

I accept extra work assignments, I volunteer for minor beat coverage, I check out websites relating to things I cover frequently and probably think about work for an hour or two everyday when not at the office or at a game. And it's all stuff I'm either undercompensated or uncompensated for.

But it's what I do.

So I started going to the gym, riding the bike a lot or even taking pointless trips to the mall or Costco with a kid or two in order to distract my mind and be more productive as a person instead of being more productive as a journalist.

Sometimes, I really think the problem is having access to 'work' via the internet. If it weren't for family, I'd probably spend 16 hours a day either at the office or doing work-related crap on these funky tubes of information.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I believe my wife just described me perfectly. She said I'm not a "workaholic," but I do obsess over work.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nice euphemism. ;)

I took exception to what Gold wrote, and I'm not sure why.
    But, I find the problem bothering me more and more. It's the idea of people coming to "false conclusions." I see it in stories all the time, too.

That would be like me typing:

Show me someone who works 37.5 hours or 40 hours a week and I'll show you someone that is apathetic, languorous and unindustrious. And, in the next round of cuts should be "voluntarily or involuntarily separated."

I just found it to be an odd, crude generalization.

4. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

My experience is that I've encountered precious few people -- at least on the writing end -- who put in 40 or fewer hours a week and are worth a damn. I've never worked out of an office, so I don't have any first-hand intelligence on that -- other than there are way too many damn meetings.

5. You never worked in an office but you're opining anyway ... thanks.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a workaholic, however, I take pride in my work and make sure I get it right. I consider myself someone who works intelligently and efficiently. I'll put in some extra time when it's necessary but not out of habit. I also take pride in being a good husband and father.

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

I know I've posted this phrase five times before, but I'll post it again -- your post seems to indicate you're an OK guy who is looking to right the work/life ship -- I used to have the same exact problem when I was single, and after I got married, it almost put me in the grave.

Anyway, say this to yourself every time you start to feel you're spending too much time at work:

"Nobody has 'He should have spent more time in the office' etched on his gravestone." Repeat it again and again. Then gather your stuff, and go home.

And seriously, get involved in stuff outside work. For a while I was a tennis-aholic after and before work. Now, I spend several hours a week cycling over 100 miles and put in about 5,000 miles a year, and it's easy because all I need is the bike and off I go. Heck, I'll even LEAVE work two hours early now to get in a good ride...and I've made a few hundred friends around the country in doing it.

Take care of yourself...because nobody else will.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You'll notice there is no Japanese presence on this thread.

Japan, which kicks our ass worse every year, productivity-wise.

At some point, hard work became a negative entity in our culture. And it should not be.

9. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Oh, piss off. I married somebody in the business who managed a department. So yes, I can sure opine on the meetings part.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

On the flip side. Take care of your family, because no one else will.
    If that means working extra, then do it.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I definitely am a workaholic. I'm working the equivalent of two full-time jobs right now and I still work in some time for a social life. I enjoy both, but if the place I "left" hires a new editor, I'm giving myself a breather by taking two whole days off (the SHOCK!!!) and chillaxing.

If I had a family, I wouldn't be working like this.

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Yes and it's really quite odd with the heavy Japanese presence in most of the threads on this board.

But seriously, I don't think people are saying (or at least I'm not saying) there's anything wrong with working hard. I think if you're choosing to work over spending time with your family then you don't have your priorities in order.

Draft saved Draft deleted