1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a workaholic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, come on. Isn't that a gross generalization?
    I was this way 15 years ago, when the company was owned by a family and we were getting two raises per year. I've never been a clock watcher, never will.

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

bullshit.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

10 OT hours each pay period? You're one lucky bastard. I'm not joking.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

In my opinion, no.

I'm not talking about you have to work an extra hour or put in some extra time for a special section. I'm talking about people who work 60 to 70 hours a week on a regular basis and work for the sake of work. I dated somebody in the newspaper business like that, and she was never successful.

What happens is that when you do something like that, you write more and more. Editors love those people because they'll do a whole bunch of stories. The problem is that when you do that, your own work suffers. What you are putting out in the 12th hour is not as good as what you do in the 6th or 7th hour. There are big events when you might come through with flying colors, but do it enough and that's how mistakes happen.

PHINJ, from your other posts you seem like a good person. I like your posts and I have no problem with your comment. What is BS is this "hard work will always be rewarded" mentality. The BS is the always or usually part. If you take the 51st thru 60th hour you are working at an understaffed place and put it into making contacts, looking for another job, or freelancing, I firmly believe you will be better off. If something is your dream, you have to work for it because nobody is going to give it to you and you aren't going to get it giving your work away.

5. oops ... :)

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I am one of those editors. (Not everyone on this board is a writer.)
    And, your anecdote that you once dated someone who worked alot and wasn't successful isn't a formula. It's just that, an anecdote. I'm fairly successful, and I work alot. But, I certainly don't think that is the case for everyone. One example does not make a rule.
    It's a choice. I don't expect my staff to work as much as I do. But, they will never say I don't put in the time.

7. Jor El

Jor El Guest

Yeah, I'm just a light sleeper. Always been that way.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Bravo.

(And you sure toned down your description from post No. 1 to post No. 2 anyway, Gold.)

I wouldn't state that like it's a "duh" type of answer ... because it's not always the right answer.

Spend time with your family, sure ... but understand that if you are the bread-winner, you are to win the bread.

9. healingman

healingman Guest

Hi, my name is so-and-so and I'm a workaholic. "Hi so-and-so!"
    God, workaholism is just one of many -isms and -ictions running through my life. Yet ... like my moniker points out, I am healing from all of this stuff and looking at my shit. Yes, it stinks sometimes, too. But I'm choosing to look at the dark and gold of what makes me a man who seeks healing from life's ups and downs.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

And one more thing ... I'd sure as hell rather have a "workaholic" beside me on the desk than somebody who can't get the job done that night because Junior has a big Little League game, and he feels it necessary to be there.

11. The key is to get the job done right so you can see Junior play.

You're right, Shottie, family shouldn't be used as an excuse not to do your job. I'll also add that work shouldn't be used as an excuse to be a bad father. But both family and work can be served by honoring commitments and making compromises.

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Used to be. Worked 4-6 nights a week, did al kinds of extra crap, came in on days off, etc., all on my dime. Moved up (I think) in the business, although not necessarily to a larger paper.

Then marrage, a family, developing more friends around Microville, Little League, AYSO, neighborhod functions, etc., put an end to that. I'll put in the right amount of time on my beats, and work extra time whenever else is necessary, during the real busy prep times, and I'll trade nights with guys. But extra time on my dime is history. The corporation can get by with a 25-percent profit margin without any more free contributions from me.

Draft saved Draft deleted