1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a workaholic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

If you are young and you want to get anywhere in this business, you will have to do more than a 5-day, 40-hour week. That's just the way it is. Hopefully, you work for a boss who recognizes this and appreciates it and will be reasonable when you need (and deserve) some time off.

But, as Hyman Roth said, "This is the business we've chosen."

This means being in touch with news when you are away from the office. It obviously means working on your day off when big news happens. It means coming in a little early and staying a little late when it's warranted. It means staying an extra hour here or there to put the finishing touches on a project, do a better rewrite on a story or rework a layout with newer, better photos graphics and sharper heads. It means going the extra mile to do research or get another source on a story.

If you love what you do and you want to make a career out of it, then doing these things should be second nature and, frankly, you shouldn't even notice the extra time all that much.

If you put in 10-hour day but you know you really kicked ass the satisfaction is worth it. But if it's really burning you that you'll never get those extra two hours back, you should probably get out of the business.

2. Huntsie,

I was a workaholic and I still love what I do but everything changed when we had a kid ... I made a commitment to balance work and family ... I found a more family friendly employer and I spend less time dallying at work and I definitely don't linger after work ... obviously with the nature of the business family still loses to work but it's much more of a fair fight ... I can still work from home after they're asleep.

It's a constant struggle but if you love work and family it's worth it.

3. Jor El

Jor El Guest

There are 168 hours in the week. I spend 40 working, 40 sleeping and the remaining 88 doing whatever I want. I don't let my job run my life. Or ruin it.

4. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I do my work and work on my off days only when it just can't be done any other way. I have a small life outside the office, it ain't much, but it's something. I've also been seeing family and friends more.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

<-------------------------- All you need to know

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I guess the next question is, if you're a workaholic, how do you fix it?

7. Get a hobbie

8. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Get involved with just one thing outside of work. Meeting people you don't know through assignments can be a good thing. Also take the time to go to that family gathering and just take a day off or even a half day once in a while. I would say try to make boundaries. However, I'm not saying take a 2-week vacation during playoff season, but make some boundaries.

9. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I don't necessarily like being a workaholic, but I think I've generally got a type-A personality and am that dedicated to most things. I'm totally focused on my volunteer projects, my friends, pretty much everything that's important to me.

I want everything I turn in to be as close to perfect as I can make it, and sometimes that requires extra hours or even extra duties, like helping out with proofing pages. Even days like this, when it's snowing and events are cancelled, I'd feel guilty if I didn't get something done because I was scheduled to work.

Am I making dinner plans for the unexpected night off? Yup. Will I have churned out a couple of stories and made calls for another one before leaving the house? Of course!

10. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

My wife would say yes, and there are times I side with her. Mine isn't a 40-hour gig, though, so you do what you can. I have ALWAYS thought of myself along the same lines as any other "professional" on salary -- you do the work that needs to be done, regardless of how long it takes. Often, that manifests itself into 60-65 hours a week. Other times -- like today, as I am bowing out early for 18 holes -- it is a little less.

With a child on the way, I am sure the 18 holes time will be replaced by taking my little girl places and spending as much time as possible with her. Oh, and my wife too. :)

rb

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok one suggestion is to work from home. although you can't design from home for the most part, you don't need to be in the office to write, use the internet, etc. i think this requires a lot of self-discipline but if you set up a home office or just a space reserved for working, you work, then you take breaks with your family, even if ti's just playing with junior and his toys for 15 minutes. and think of how much time you spend at work not actually working - even if you're a workaholic, you commute, you chat with coworkers, etc.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's a big part of my problem with the whole "workaholic" deal.

If I ever thought my job helped to "ruin" my life, I'd have a hell of a tough time getting out of bed in the morning. If you don't like your job to the extent where you think it can "ruin" your life, why aren't you looking for something you DO like?

FWIW, Frank's exactly right. The ideal is to get your job done in the most efficent way; i.e., the fewest hours. And still, when it's necessary, you can't work hours 41 through 50 with clenched teeth. It's going to eat you up inside.

Draft saved Draft deleted