1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a workaholic?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by huntsie, Mar 16, 2007.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I think I am. I spend a lot of time at the office working on extra stuff, doing briefs and stuff, developing ideas and working on them beyond what I'm assigned.
    I'm in early on days I design and putter after deadline a lot. My family has come to accept it, but I want to fix it. How do I do that? Anybody have any ideas -- I mean sincerely?

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Huntsie, if by family you mean a spouse and child/children, and you still are lingeirng at work, you need to see a priest, pastor, family counselor or marriage counselor. And I"m sincere, too. You might as well get to know one of those folks now, because you're going to really be needing them sooner than later.

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Yes I am, but I figure that's OK. Since I don't have anything else to do, I might as well be working. I frequently work 6- and 7-day weeks, and although I complain about it a lot, it is often by choice. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if I burn out by the time I'm 30. At least that gives me something to look forward to.

4. clutchcargo

Why work so much?

5. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Eh, what else am I going to do?

6. clutchcargo

Even if you think you are relaxed and stress-free duirng all those extra hours not on deadline, getting stuff done, you still are draining yourself.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why not? It's enjoyable for a lot of people.

I don't always have a killer night where I'm busting for eight hours ... but sometimes, I think that's when I'm happiest. Because I know I'm going to get it done, and I know I'm going to have a good feeling about it when it's over.

And if you think that's a path straight to divorce court ... perhaps you haven't met the right person. Some understand.

8. clutchcargo

I have met the right person and been married to her over 15 years. Part of that commitment to her and our child is that I come home and spend time with them when I don't have to be at work. Sure, there are days I put in two or three extra hours knocking out non-deadline type stuff, but I also like to get away from it. To each his or her own.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There is the satisfaction of knowing that not everyone can do it, too. It takes skill and experience to give everyone a smooth ride on a tough night, and when you can make it happen, it's very satisfying.

I don't really get off anymore on putting in extra hours as some kind of macho thing, like I used to. This is coming from someone who at his last paper was known to pull all-nighters a few times a year while working on special sections. (I'm not sure that I physically could do that now; I'm not in my 30s anymore.) To me it's more of an accomplishment to do it in the allotted time than it is to "cheat" and get a head start. I'll still work extra hours when it seems necessary or when I think it will be worth it in terms of extra time equalling better product. The truth is that while I find work fulfilling on some levels, it is not as consistently fun as it was before our resources got cut -- and also, my life outside work is better than it's ever been, so I don't really need extra work as a means of filling a void in my life.

11. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Hmm. Life outside of work. Must be nice.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

I used to be a workaholic, but it cost me a few things much more important than my work. Now, my job is my job, nothing more, nothing less. I still occasionally put in long days and extra shfts. But I also make sure and take the time off I've earned and enjoy what little I do have outside of the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted