1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a straight ticket voter? If so why?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by RedSmithClone, Nov 11, 2006.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

OK, I actually posted this in another board, but thought it might be worth starting a new topic with.

I voted for Christy Mihos for governor and got crap from people on both sides telling me how stupid I am because I wasted my vote. I love being called an idiot because I voted for the person I believe would serve the Commonwealth best. A true Massachusetts boy born and raised, who runs a successful business and is not a transplant to the area and trying to tell us all what's best for our state. I just find it funny when people on both sides get so pissed that people don't side with one party or the other and then vote a straight ticket. It amazes me that no matter who is running for a party that people would just throw their vote away by simply voting the party line.

Aside from my vote for governor, I actually got crap from people asking me how I could leave the Kennedy senate race blank. That Ted has done so much for the state and he deserves to be there for life. And republican friends couldn't believe that I hate the guy and his political games and the FACT that he is a murder who never paid for his crime and wouldn't just cast my vote for a Republican to try and help oust him - which will never happen as long as he is alive. Just because I want the guy out doesn't mean I'm going to vote for someone on the other ticket that I don't know or like.

I guess I'm a moron as one Deval Patrick supporter told me. How could I choose anyone but his man - who never gave a clear indication where he stands on any issue throughout the campaign. Why would I vote for a guy or woman who doesn't offer any real and solid ideas or proposals? I think those people were the ignorant ones. And I think anyone who voted for Kerry Healey was also ignorant in that they bought into her bashing of a man who worked as a defense attorney prior to becoming a politician. That was his job for goodness sake. And I don't mean to use ignorant to name call, as I said I hate that and have been the victim of that in this election for supporting an independent. I simply mean they were uninformed on both sides and didn't seem to care. Even without full knowledge of what these candidates stand for they voted the party line. In their own words, who is the "moron" in that situation?

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I've never voted a straight ticket in my life. I never will, most likely.

Frankly, I don't trust either of the two major political parties. They're both screwing over the common man.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think the ability to vote straight party should be abolished from the ballot. Even in years when I've voted all-GOP, I take the time to fill in each race. Straight-ticket just encourages the intellectually lazy.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I never vote down party lines......it's all about the individual for me.

Red....."Together we can....." ::)

Hey...I hope the guy does a good job, but I also hope people look past his personna and truly look at the job he does, good or bad.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've never done it. I've got a friend who votes straight GOP. I think it's a lazy way to do it. You don't have to do research to find out if that person would best represent you and such.

6. joe

joe Active Member

It is no longer an option in Missouri.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Never voted straight-line and never will. In this election I would have* voted Republican for governor and state rep and Democrat for US Senate, Congress and state senate in my home district. Sometimes it is more Dems, sometimes more GOPers. But never all-or-nothing.

*=Long story, but wasn't able to vote absentee.

8. Except for who RSC voted for, I don't believe a lot of that post. I don't think some random Deval Patrick supporter called him a "moron." I think it's possible that some friend of his who voted for Patrick might have said that, but in the same way you'd talk to anyone you know.
    Anyway, I went Green/Rainbow for Secretary of State, because a) I knew the woman running and b) because I think it kmight be good to have someone running the elections who's unaffiliated with either of the two majors.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm pretty liberal, and I voted for a couple of the enemy this time around. The two I voted for were incumbents and have been doing a good job so I stuck with them.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't remember the last time I voted straight ticket either. The majority of the time my votes will go Democrat in national elections, Republican in local elections and either way in state elections.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Another vote to abolish the straight-ticket option. I'm sure everyone is shocked.

12. Straight ticket isn't an option in my state.

Draft saved Draft deleted