1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are white shirts really that "dressy"???

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Apr 1, 2008.

1. So every time I wear a plain white shirt to work, even a casual white shirt, the peppy middle-aged woman on news side says, "Well, you sure are dressed up today! What's the occasion?!"

Are white shirts seriously that "dressy"? To the point of being attention-drawing?

Just kind of always thought they were versatile and professional.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are self-conscious about it, just spill some mustard on the front. Problem solved.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

They are if you're this guy:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

A white shirt with a collar -- I assume you're not talking about a golf/polo shirt -- is indeed the most formal of the genre.

5. bigpern23

Here's the true test ... show up to work like this and see if she thinks you're dressed up:

[​IMG]

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It could be worse. You could be this guy...

[​IMG]

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

But what if he doesn't want to be a pirate?

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I had to wear white buttonup shirts for a restaurant job when I was a teen-ager, so I had a bunch of them and they became casual wear for me with jeans well into my 20s. As a teen-ager it was kind of my only statement of fashion individuality -- white shirt, faded jeans, white leather or canvas sneakers. I seldom wear jeans anymore, but I still think a white oxford cotton shirt with buttondown collar is great with a pair of flat-front khakis.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

She's hitting on you and you haven't figured it out yet. Wait until she corners you at the 4th of July cookout.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A white shirt with a dark grey suit speaks "power"

But not a buttondown and preferably one with French cuffs.

I can't actually remember the last time I wore a suit.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Here's a piece from Esquire on white shirts from December. I really like wearing them.

http://www.esquire.com/style/fashion-story/whiteshirt1207

12. bigpern23

A suit every day? What is this the '20s? I better be able to wear a fedora and drink Jack Daniels in the press box if I'm going to put myself through that.

(Actually, it would be kind of cool, except it would be very expensive and everyone would think I was playing dress up like a 5-year-old trying to look older.)

Draft saved Draft deleted