1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Web sites not bound by AP embargoes?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I ask because I see this on the wire ...

Then I see it on Fox Sports/MSN less than three hours later ... http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7608020

This isn't the first time it's happened. Are those "For release ..." lines merely suggestions by the AP?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If I'm a power that be at a member paper, I'd be pissed that a media outlet is breaking the embargo...

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I believe there are different levels of suggestion to hold a story.

This one, the "For release" is obviously something AP wants members to hold until a certain date.

AP also has one with the screamin' big head EMBARGOED UNTIL and a specific time.

In the "For release" instance, it does seem to be at least bad form if not a violation for a member to broadcast or publish it before the date.

What happens if the embargo is broken? AP send a hitman to the shop to whack someone?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Could also cut off their AP wire for a certain amount of time.
    Even though I like the hitman idea better...

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We don't even see some of that "For release" information in the feed we get here, nor (necessarily) the raw Stats Inc. feed that it comes from.

I think the differentiation between a "for weekend editions" line and a strict embargo to prevent somebody getting a competive edge on a big story is probably on the mark.

6. sportsed

sportsed Member

Perhaps it could be the handiwork of automation.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I suspect that's it.

The stuff that explicitly says "HOLD FOR RELEASE" doesn't get out before it's supposed to, or else.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I can see that.

But when I'm budgeting the weekend sections with stuff from the AP Features Digest, I sure don't like seeing it already floating around the Web.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

After yesterday, I would be afraid to post anything on an AP-related thread.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I prefer the handiwork of Automotion:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted