1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we speaking the same language?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 5, 2013.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

This is pretty cool.
    22 maps showing how regional dialects effect the pronunciation of words and what we call certain items.

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6

(Hope this isn't a d_b)

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When I was younger and thirsty, I used to choose between pop and a bubbler. But now I don't live there anymore so I just grab a merlot.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I had never heard a water fountain called a bubbler until one of my friends, who's from Wisconsin, said it once when we were talking on the phone. I asked her what she meant, and she said it was northerners word for water fountain.

4. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

When I was living in NYC, even the ground outdoors was referred to as "the floor". To me the floor was indoors.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This one is tremendous: What do you call it when rain falls while the sun is shining? From Louisiana through North Carolina, they say "the devil is beating his wife."

http://www.businessinsider.com/22-maps-that-show-the-deepest-linguistic-conflicts-in-america-2013-6#seriously-alabama-and-mississippi-that-is-terrible-19

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm a Yooper. We don't speak right...we know it and we love it.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When I started dating a New Jersey girl in the early 2000s she asked me if I wanted to go get on line. I was like, "What do you mean? You want to go to an Internet cafe or something?"

"No, get on line for movie tickets."

"Oh, you mean in line."

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

What does Bubbler call a bubbler?

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They left off "with a dishpan."

Every one of those maps proves again that Mizzou has no business being in the SEC.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This all is fascinating. In most parts of the country, the perfect woman is a 10. But the people of sj must be from a part of the country where the perfect woman is a 6.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Tahoe.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

pronounce caribbean is another one...

Draft saved Draft deleted