1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we really the best baseball country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Obviously, we have the best professional baseball league. The world's best play here, but are the world's best born or developed here?

The Olympics never answer the question because we don't have the opportunity to send America's best players. The first World Baseball Classic was considered just an exhibition by most major leaguers. Maybe the '09 WBC will be treated differently, but can you really judge the best by limiting pitch counts?

I can make the case that just the depth of American talent makes us the best baseball country, but would our best 25 players really beat the best 25 from Cuba, Korea, Japan or the Dominican Republic?

PS -- Am I the only one surprised that the Koreans will likely go 9-0 in the Olympic tournament?

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

With a bunch of white guys, are we the best? No.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Depth-wise, absolutely. Nobody else is close.

Best 25 vs. best 25? I'm not even sure we're No. 3, let alone No. 1. D.R. wins that one, I would say. Cuba's right up there.

I'd even venture to say Venezuela would beat us in a 7-game series (with Johan and Zambrano as the 1-2 punch and K-Rod to close it out.)

Japan and Korea probably don't have the pitching to stay with us. But those first three? Yeah, ain't no cakewalk.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistan doesn't have loads of depth but our best lineup can give anyone a tough night.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Korea wins baseball and Japan wins softball.

Beyond comprehension 20 years ago.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

True dat...

7. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

The biggest problem in these arguments, and this isn't so much directed at baseball as it is other sports (Ryder Cup), to other teams it's important represent your country. Our guys ask "How much are we getting paid for this?"

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Buck, a question that relates to this...

The baseball HOF inductions in the years, say, 2020-2040, how many players will be American born? 1/3rd? 1/2?

More? Less?

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Wow ... it is when you think abou it.

10. agateguy

agateguy Member

If we're defining best baseball country only by elite talent, I'd put the Dominican Republic at No. 1, with the U.S. and Cuba in a tie for second. And Cuba's best 25 may beat our best 25 in a seven-game series.

If you define it by fan interest, the presence of professional teams (and the fan interest in them), how ingrained the sport is in the culture...is America still the top country? I might argue Cuba is (although their professional teams are actually state-owned). They live and die baseball. Americans love baseball but probably love the NFL more.

11. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Depth is not a fair comparison, unless some per-capita calculation can be factored in.

Of course the U.S. (population 303.8 million) has more baseball depth than the Dominican Republic (9.5 million) or Cuba (11.4 million).

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is a good question.

Draft saved Draft deleted