1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Are we raising a generation of nature-phobic kids?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2016.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

My daughter is going to a daily girl scout's camp this summer and they don't allow the kids to bring iphones. They also go swimming twice a day and a slew of other outdoor activities. She bitched for the first couple of days because she said she was bored on the bus -- and of course it was because she didn't have her phone. So I told her to bring a book to occupy her time. I wish school in general would ban phones, though I know that's not really practical. But hopefully she's learning the benefits of unplugging.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Beach Sucks

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I grew up very suburban with a decided lack of nature time. It's too bad. Ms. Ragu grew up in a rural place, surrounded by rolling hills and forests, and she lives for the outdoors. My life has changed immeasurably with her. We go weekend camping during the summers. And not the camping we see others doing, where they bring their house with them, every appliance imaginable and sit around all day eating junk food.

We have a ridiculous little 2-person tent. We wake up in the morning, go hiking all day, and we eat all natural -- wood campfire, etc I am still pretty inept as an outdoorsman -- she is definitely the man in the family when we go -- but I am not as sad as I used to be. They are some of the best weekends.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Grew up in the Pacific Ocean, attended and was counselor at Jewish summer camps deep in the woods of Malibu ... glad I did.

It's not that hard to break the daily rut and spend some time outdoors.

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I camped tons as a kid and actually have some outdoor skills thanks to being a Boy Scout.

My wife refuses to tent it and at my age now I probably agree. We are looking for a small camper to get in to the outdoors, fortunate to live close to many amazing outdoor spots.

We take the kids on small hikes and they love it.

This is sort of timely as yesterday we were having a weenie roast at my in laws farm and after I roasted a marshamallow for my 8 year old daughter she said she didn't know how to eat it.

Kids will be camping next summer.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

In general, people are not phobic, just lazier and more used to comforts and conveniences, and because of the proliferation of computer-based work and of electronic/digital fun, they are less exposed, than they used to be.

Your usual Joe Blow is not an outdoorsman. It's not until you actually learn some active skills, such as an outdoor sport like sailing, fishing or (outdoor) rock-climbing, or gain some true camping, orienteering or survival skills/experience that people become what I would consider an outdoorsy person.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Performance anxiety about relaxing. Haha. Great article.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depending on how many there are in your family, I'd suggest looking at a teardrop camper. You and the wife can split a queen bed inside it. You can put a rooftop tent on one for the kids or just have them pitch a tent right outside the door.

Iron_chet likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of campers. Defeats the purpose. We camp with friends at the Indy 500, and half the people just retreat to the camper half the time.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's where the teardrops split the difference. You can sleep inside it, but that's about it. Everything else has to be done outside.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I live about 25 minutes from the gate of a national park and about 60 minutes from a giant sequoia grove.
    Done a lot of easy day hikes, but not in a long time.
    And I've never been much of a camper.

I'm what they call indoorsy.

dixiehack likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted