1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Are we raising a generation of nature-phobic kids?'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good read here, though nothing that should shock anyone.

Are we raising a generation of nature-phobic kids?

I was a huge wuss growing up when it came to the outdoors - my mom's a wimp and my dad was wildly risk-averse. I'm trying to raise my kids to embrace it. It's not always easy. Mrs. Whitman claims to love "nature," but not at the expense of a soft bed or air conditioning. And all the kids in the family will sneak indoors to find a screen or device the second you take your off them. I'll keep trying, though. We spent the weekend on a lake and I probably spent a combined 10 minutes in the house. Even convinced some of the boys to sleep in the tent.

bigpern23 likes this.
  2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Seems like plenty of people doing outdoor activities and sports to me. My parents used to be concerned about my brothers and I watching too much television. In 1965.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know every time I go outside on a nice day, I'm greeted by a massive, unholy clusterfuck of humanity.

So, no.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Conversely, there's been a spike in outdoors brands in the past few years. Part of it is due to a rise in festival camping. Bikepacking has seen growth. #Vanlife is one of the most popular tags on Insta.

I think like most things now, the options are so diverse it is difficult capture just how many people are doing such a wide range of activities. Is hammocking counted?

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Jim Gaffigan:

My parents never took me camping.

You know why?

Because they loved me.

6. MisterCreosote

"Camping is a tradition in my family."

"Well, it was a tradition in everyone's family until we invented houses."

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This reminds me of my stock answer when people ask me about going to the beach: Sure, the beach is great except for the sun, sand, water and people.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

9. cranberry

I'm a big fan of tiki bars. Does that count?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes!

I'm not going to pretend that I'm out there skinning an elk. But between inside and outside, I almost invariably choose outside. That includes something as simple as sitting on the porch swing or grilling up some dinner and eating on the back deck.

cranberry likes this.
  11. cranberry

Then put me down as an outdoorsman.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. MisterCreosote

My son loves just rolling around in the grass. And, stomping in mud puddles.

And, he especially loves when he can rope me into doing it with him.

Draft saved Draft deleted