1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we just a computer simulation?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Aug 14, 2007.

?

Are we?

Poll closed Aug 21, 2007.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Probably not, but who knows? :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/science/14tier.html?ref=science&pagewanted=all

Until I talked to Nick Bostrom, a philosopher at Oxford University, it never occurred to me that our universe might be somebody else’s hobby. I hadn’t imagined that the omniscient, omnipotent creator of the heavens and earth could be an advanced version of a guy who spends his weekends building model railroads or overseeing video-game worlds like the Sims.

But now it seems quite possible. In fact, if you accept a pretty reasonable assumption of Dr. Bostrom’s, it is almost a mathematical certainty that we are living in someone else’s computer simulation.
    “My gut feeling, and it’s nothing more than that,” he says, “is that there’s a 20 percent chance we’re living in a computer simulation.”

My gut feeling is that the odds are better than 20 percent, maybe better than even.
    I think it’s highly likely that civilization could endure to produce those supercomputers. And if owners of the computers were anything like the millions of people immersed in virtual worlds like Second Life, SimCity and World of Warcraft, they’d be running simulations just to get a chance to control history — or maybe give themselves virtual roles as Cleopatra or Napoleon.

It’s unsettling to think of the world being run by a futuristic computer geek, although we might at last dispose of that of classic theological question: How could God allow so much evil in the world? For the same reason there are plagues and earthquakes and battles in games like World of Warcraft. Peace is boring, Dude.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

He stole the idea from Men In Black.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If we are, the person playing us is a looser.

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

5. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Does the person/thing at the helm have pot, and how often does he/she/it smoke it? The catfish? Carrot Top?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

:p ;) :-*

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Jackie Robinson knows that's right.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Okay. That means that our whole solar system could be, like one tiny atom in the fingernail of some other giant being. This is too much! That means one tiny atom in my fingernail could be ...

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Really disgusting?

10. I hope I'm a virus!!!

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm glad you caught that :D

Draft saved Draft deleted