1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we ignoring New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubba Fett, Jan 5, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

This is a good point. People who want solutions need to hope the media will stay away, rather than fucking it up with fallacies, factual errors, etc., that only hurt the effort.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well they did re-elect Ray Nagins and William Jefferson, and the national media will never point out that if they want to improve, they might want to start with getting some leadership.

3. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

bunch of savages in new orleans.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Death doesn't make for a good design package.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It doesn't make for good MNF pregaming, either. I think I'm going to need 96-pound Kornheiser to put all this in perspective for me.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh my lord is that horrible.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Imagine this thread. People in sports who understand better what's going on than the news media. Instead of posting to a thread, why not go across the newsroom and ask what's being done about coverage of New Orleans murder rates? Wonder what the response will be after asking Mr. Editor?

"How does that fit in with our readership studies?"

That's why it doesn't get covered better.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

We aren't just ignoring New Orleans, and I hate to say "we" because I neither live nor work in New Orleans, anyway I was researching something else and I stumbled across a scholarly report on violent crime and news coverage in the South.
    Key points that I remember...
    Every major city in the South has a crime problem, but the vast majority of that crime is contained to the "bad part" of town. Quite literally, 60 percent or more of the violent crime in most places was specific to one zip code.
    "If it bleeds, it leads" is true for TV and print news. Violent crime got a larger percentage of coverage than white collar crime in most Southern cities. But any kind of crime didn't get the sustained, explaining why it happens coverage.
    The study said that newspapers tend not to have large readerships in the poor parts of town. So the newsrooms don't get the community pressure to explain things. Those parts of the community aren't represented at the paper anyway with reporters and editors who grew up in the ghetto/barrio/etc. And extended crime coverage wasn't the kind of thing that wins awards on a regular basis since most violent crime can be easily explained. Drugs lead to gangs and gangs lead to violent crime.
    So it is a nice little circle that feeds itself. The study didn't draw any conclussions outside of slamming news coverage and that it takes a city-wide effort to make things better.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Hopefully not the same people who proclaim they don't need proof, though. That kind of thing might shoot down credibility. You know, if anyone in the newsroom worried about something like that.

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

A piece from today's T-P about the couple....

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-7/1168069740297680.xml&coll=1

This story is absolutely heart-breaking. I love N.O., but I'm not sure it's possible to save it at this point short of a federal takeover and martial law. The idiots who re-elected Nagin and Jefferson robbed the city of whatever good will the vast majority of the country had for it.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That story broke my heart. I want to turn out all the lights and cry. The writer did an excellent job of capturing the joy this couple brought to everyone around them and how richly the woman lived her life. I hear a story this grotesque and it's hard for me to fathom a grand cosmic plan that makes any sense.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hell, you could also ask, are we ignoring Houston? The murder rate there skyrocketed thanks directly to the refugees who stayed their after they evacuated NOLA.

Draft saved Draft deleted