1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we heading for a major political schism?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 9, 2008.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Just a question from a political idiot (I just vote my conscience) - would more than 2 political parties in the US be a bad thing?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would be a great thing... Why not even start with two political parties that are actually different--in practice--in any meaningful way?

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think that's what makes me shy away from politics. Candidates may have the best intentions when they run but the reality is that everything is compromise.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://books.google.com/books?id=WWJrKwvzdB8C&pg=PA90&lpg=PA90&dq=%22history+of+the+two+party+system%22&source=web&ots=TZi1j_VyZl&sig=zdsOjRRO5PIDgqU6mfXf3zGLvJU#PPP1,M1

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

It depends how polarized you get. Maybe you get more voices, like a three-party system here - that's not bad - but you know it's realistically a two-party show.

Personally, I don't like some of the European systems that are all about coalitions and deal-making with smaller groups getting to be king-makers. It seems to serve the agenda of a minority more than the whole.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Hillary Clinton is ready to carry the mantle of "Most polarizing politician in the free world" from President Stupid.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Which is why I think he'll pick Huckabee as his running mate. It would at least somewhat placate the religious right portion of the GOP's base. And since McCain's age and health increases the likelihood of him not running again in 2012, serving as McCain's VP will position Huckabee well for another run at the White House.

8. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Thing is, picking Huckabee for a VP might gain evangelicals, but it may also serve to alienate those fiscal conservative types who loathe Huckabee for his tax policy.

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

That's what I have found interesting about this talk of giving Huckabee the veep nod to placate conservatives. <i>Social</i> conservatives invested in religious issue, sure. But in numerous other facets, Huckabee is far less conservative than McCain, like economics and education. Heck, as a bleeding heart liberal I would like Huckabee if he wasn't so conservative on social matters.

10. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

I'm going with anyone I believe will at least try to bring us together and will try to work with other governments. I don't care which label is assigned to that person.

Very sick of the Cheney-Bush style; it has not worked, and it is more akin to something a couple of teenage girls would do.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

An end to the Demopublican snoozefest would be nice.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I actually think that tax policy isn't too bad. Will it pass? Probably not for another 10-15 years if ever, but the current system is so broken you can't start to put together the pieces.

I think picking Huckabee would help McCain in the southern states where McCain hasn't had too much strength. It'd balance the ticket a bit.

And we already have more than two political parties. I'm surprised more people haven't embraced the Libertarians (of which I'm not one, just raising it as an example) or other parties.

Draft saved Draft deleted