1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we celebrity journalists?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 11, 2009.

1. I've raised this thought on a couple of other threads, mostly the ones dealing with the A-Rod/Selena Roberts throwdown.

One of the big turnoffs for me about covering sports has been the feeling that we're producing celebrity/entertainment journalism. I can pinpoint, I think, the start of this feeling to the 2003 Major League All-Star Game, when I was introduced to the debacle known as media day, when about 60 stars are jammed into a hotel ballroom while journalists bounce from table to table. It's only grown since, as I've tried to navigate the maze of agents, p.r. people, etc., etc.

I'm proud of Selena Roberts' work on this story. And I love, for example, Jeff Pearlman's Dallas Cowboys book and its revelations about strippers, hookers, booze, etc., etc. High entertainment.

But what separates us from paparazzi? Anything?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Well, we don't get to bang Britney Spears.

3. micke77

micke77 Member

WaylonJennings, my friend, I am with you on this and it's bothered me a lot.
    I think we should be journalists, period.
    Not celebrity journalists.
    But tell that to the dudes at ESPN, who are a primary example, if not THE example, for excessive time in the spotlight.
    I've seen fans go ape shit over Berman, Mayne and Company simply because they saw them more as "celebs" than journalists.
    I think you bring up a very good, valid, needs-to-be-discussed topic.
    I admire the work of a Selena Roberts and others who do a great job of reporting, etc., etc. but there has to be a point where we aren't regarded in the same arena as celebrities. That's not our role.

4. Germane?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=macgregor/090209

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Americane, I think.

6. micke77

micke77 Member

I just made it through Jeff McGregory's piece on ESPN.com and he's right on the point about the obsession that Americans have with celebrities.
    I particularly liked the graph that began "And what about you the reader?"...We all know of fans who live, breathe and die with their favorite athletes, yet all but croak when their heroes do something foolish. Its the ultimate get-a-life scenario."
    it's a sad commentary on our society, but it will continue to be that way. as much bitching and moaning that folks might do about A-Rod or whoever, they will be packing the stadiums this summer to get their celebrity/hero "fix."

7. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Speak for yourself.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

I go back to the dudes at ESPN.
    As much self-promoting as they do, I honest to goodness can't tell whether they should be regarded as journalists/celebrities or celebrities/journalists.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Weren't sports writers were the *original* celebrity journalists, back to the days of drinking on the train with The Babe?

10. micke77

micke77 Member

filenotfound...good point...damon runyon, grannie rice and crew...and all roads leading to Toot's Shors afterwards?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You know it doesn't count if she's only there in poster form, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted