1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we allowed to talk about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 18, 2013.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

We’re considering it, but I’ve read so many arguments for and against it, I’m not really sure what to think. Where’s @The Big Ragu when you need him? :D

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If Coinbase prices @ a $100 billion market cap, by way of comparison to the valuations of the established stock exchanges. ... it implies that its revenue is going to be 50 percent more than the COMBINED 2020 revenues of the Nasdaq and ICE, which is the parent company of the New York Stock Exchange. When this bubble makes the dot-com bubble look like a small pullback, people will look back on these things and wonder what the hell was going on.

In speculative-mania-world maybe this makes sense to someone. But when the Fed's everything bubble pops, a fair valuation is more on the order of $15 to $20 billion. There may be a trade -- hot money -- in Coinbase, but anyone buying it as an investment runs the risk of it losing most of its value when sanity comes back to the world.

That isn't a knock on its business or crypto. It's purely valuation. Even the rationale that bitcoin is going to take over the world and that the total market cap of crypto is going to skyrocket in short order because bitcoin is going to a million dollars makes no sense because if there is that much opportunity there, Coinbase is going to find itself with some serious competition (which also squeezes fee margins).

bigpern23 likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As long as Dogecoin keeps going up, I'm all for this sudden burst of cryptomania.

bigpern23 likes this.
  4. bigpern23

I have a little Doge (2,000 tokens worth, bought at $0.0447), based solely on the idea that a lot of newcomers are buying/will buy into crypto and it’s probably the second- or third-most well known coin behind BTC and Ethereum, even if it was invented merely as a joke. Basically it’s a lottery ticket.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I did the same. I flipped a small exacta win at the track over to Doge just for fun.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

You're better off investing in crypto itself. Coinbase is a company that relies on the success of crypto, kind of like an unnecessary middleman.

7. The Big Ragu

By the "success of crypto". ... if you mean the prices of various cryptocoins going up, up, up. ... that is what is driving the current interest in cyrptos, which is what is putting people on Coinbase's exchange.

If the prices of those cryptocoins start going down (I know, an impossibility), though and you own them, the value of what you have is going to decline.

In that environment, Coinbase won't keep growing the way it is, as new customers with dollar signs in their eyes won't keep coming in looking to strike it rich quick. But the business itself should offer a stability that the crytocurrencies won't if their prices are plummeting, because even when prices are going down, there is still trading that generates the commissions that are the source of revenue for Coinbase.

That doesn't mean that the price of Coinbase's stock won't decline, too. The main reason it is likely to behave like the cryptocoins themselves is that the company is being valued at a ridiculously way-overvalued-level today, which is predicated on more and more customers coming in and growing income unrealistically.

But let's say that the speculatively manic behavior was limited to the cryptocurrencies themselves, and Coinbase was being valued fairly. ... Coinbase would be a fine way to partake in some of the interest in bitcoin, without the immense amount of downside risk.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It opened at 381, touched 400 for 1.2 seconds, and has been meandering in the 370s for the last 15-20 minutes.

9. Songbird

Down into the 360's ...

10. bigpern23

Down into the $330s.

11. The Big Ragu

Did any of you buy shares today?

12. Songbird

No because ... because ... but was tempted ... but still could buy the dip.

Draft saved Draft deleted