1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we all strangers in our own country?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Dec 9, 2009.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Awesome. It's about time the government started capping profits and determining who can make what in this country. Fuck the private sector. Oh, and hopefully the government will also cap spendng on research and development. Fuckin' wasteful spending.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Many industries have their profits (and a lot else) limited or regulated by the government. Automobile insurance rates are regulated by states, dairy product prices regulated, etc. You may not like it, but it's not correct to imply it's an unheard of new development.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You know what really cuts into insurance company profits? Paying for medical treatment for sick people.

We shouldn't make them do that, either. It puts a crimp in their style.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Medicaid.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Man cannot survive on caribou meat alone.

Fish, 'opihi and tropical fruit? You just might stand a chance.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not going to sit here and say nothing needed to be done to health care. But this subject should not have been even touched in the current economy. I think a lot of people are a hell of a lot more worried about jobs and the unemployment rate skyrocketing than they are about this issue. It annoys the hell out of me.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Well, if I lose my job my family loses health insurance. So no, I don't think this is a bad time to address this.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's a huge part of the problem that should be reformed. Employment & insurance need to be separated.

No one looses their car insurance, home insurance, or life insurance when they lose their job -- because they're not linked.

Employers shouldn't be providing health insurance either. It's a burden for employers -- huge time & staff requirements, as well as money.

If everyone had to but insurance on their own -- and could spend pre-tax money on it, and could buy across state lines, you'd see real competition and lower prices.

You can't turn on the TV without seeing ads for Geico or some other car insurance. That's what it would be like for health insurance. They'd be seeking you out. Competing for you.

They also ned to stop mandating what insurance policies have to cover. Let me build my own insurance plan.

Employer based insurance is the problem. That's what needs to be reformed.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So ... stop mandating what insurance companies have to cover, and make everyone buy their own policy, Geico-style.

I'm sure that would work WONDERFULLY for diabetics, asthmatics, etc. I'm sure they wouldn't get charged double, triple, quadruple the price because they happen to have a condition that actually needs treatment.

Of course they wouldn't. Insurance companies are good, benevolent types. They would never, ever seek to profit from the suffering of others.

Also, different states have different requirements for how insurance companies operate, etc.
    Mandating that they be able to sell across state lines seems an awful lot to me like the federal government sticking its nose in state government business. Aren't you supposed to hate that?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You can mandate what they have to offer. Don't mandate what I have to buy.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, anyone with a pre-existing condition would be against that.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

No, there wouldn't. The companies would all band together and boost their rates.

Draft saved Draft deleted