1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are these Gatorade ads legal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

The NCAA has specific terms in its bylaws about illegal this and illegal this. Context is everything. We're humans. We have opposable thumbs and can discern context too. I made an illegal turn on PS2, but I didn't break any real laws.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Not much benefit now in pointing out Bama is a Powerade school.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Just because the NCAA pretends it's writing laws doesn't mean the rest of the world has to humor them. And a lot of people can discern context, but a lot of people don't bother when they read a story. They see a story saying it was illegal for an agent to pay a player, and then they ask why the agent isn't arrested or punished.

And comparing a PS2 game to real life is ridiculous. Your character inside the game is breaking the law inside the game, not you. It's a fantasy world, not reality. Trying to compare that to this argument smacks of desperation.

4. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

To use the footage in the spots that showed up on al.com there has to be permission granted.

Does everyone understand that?

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I did, which is why in my original post, I said that if Gatorade did them, then I would think they were legal. Gatorade's a big enough company they would be careful about putting in images they didn't have permission to use.

And the initial post said:

I read that to mean he was asking if using footage of players in school to push a commercial product was illegal, not whether using footage without permission of the school was illegal. Maybe I read it wrong.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Do you think the rights holder could go after the party who produced the clip that ended up on al.com?

7. Johnny Dangerously

Royal, I just like to argue. I can't really disagree with anything you said.

But I still
    might. ; )

8. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Technically it's copyrighted footage from ABC or FOX or wherever the game was shown, not the school's property.

9. Johnny Dangerously

It should be illegal to spell Fox in all caps.

10. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

This we agree on.

Draft saved Draft deleted