1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are these Gatorade ads legal?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

When Tennessee won the BCS title in 98, Adidas ran an ad right after the game using current players. The NCAA made sure the ad never ran again.

So, unless something's changed since then (doubtful) or the NCAA doesn't consider youtube to be the same thing (possible), it's illegal.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Yeah, I'd be surprised if that ad is authorized by the NCAA, SEC, or Alabama.

3. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

BamaOnline reported yesterday (Tuesday) that Gatorade said there was no Alabama ad in the "Clutch" series.

Looks like someone took an Alabama highlight video and added the music with the opening and end Gatorade logos. Pretty impressive, though.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If Gatorade did it, I'm sure no laws were broken, so it would be legal. A violation of NCAA rules? Possibly. But breaking NCAA rules is not illegal.

I know, nitpicking, but I hate seeing people refer to NCAA rules like they're laws.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What is your stance on the term illegal procedure? Should it be called against-the-rules procedure?

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

But be sure, if there is a lawsuit, each SEC team will share equally when the earnings are divided. :D

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ding ding ding.

NCAA rules and regulations are NOT FUCKING LAWS, and it's a goddamn good thing, since 93 percent of them are absolute bullshit.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Actually they're probably actually a federal copyright violation, i.e. illegal.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Illegal procedure?
    Illegal screen?
    Illegal substitution?

I suppose some of you hard-line types about rules vs. laws write around these terms in your copy?

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I have never, in all my years of covering college sports, gone into a gift shop and seen a jersey with any player's name on the back. Number, yes.
    Name, no.
    I'm sure one can get that personalized somewhere, but can anyone show evidence that schools are selling the name?

11. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Illegal procedure is the dumbest penalty ever. Every penalty is an illegal procedure.

And as per NCAA rules it would be "illegal". Just because it doesn't have to do with a "law" doesn't mean you can't use the term "illegal". It just means it isn't prohibited.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Those are specific terms for certain penalties in the game. It's necessary to refer to them that way because that's the common term and the term in the rulebooks in some cases. However, it's not necessary to say a violation of NCAA rules in this case is "illegal." Completely different situations.

As far as copyright laws, that's why I made the point of saying "if Gatorade did it." If it was done by them, their company lawyers would make sure it's not violating copyright laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted