1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the White Stripes the Pearl Jam of this decade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, May 1, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Stripes, if they remind me of any past classic, remind me a bit of Bowie.

2. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

Isn't using Meg the equivalent of having a trained bear already? :)

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"Bugs" is probably the worst. Listened to yesterday when I popped in "Vitology" on the way to work.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Bringing this back from the dead. Just heard "Icky Thump" on the radio last night. Everytime I hear something from The White Stripes, I say to myself, "I haven't heard that before." And that seems so rare nowadays...I'd be more passionate about music if that were the case.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There are plenty of bands that are more political than those you listed. They are just less known. The Clash was far more successful commercially than Crass, they are both of the punk genre.

6. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

While I know of the White Stripes and probably have heard some of their songs, I can't say that I would recognize any of them as being their work.

When I think of Pearl Jam, I am reminded of the birth of a new era of rock and roll. They didn't create a new musical style, but they definitely filled a niche that had been left vacant as rock and roll transitioned away from power ballads and into something with a little more guts to it.

Eddie Vedder's raspy, powerful vocals and their wild tempos and arrangements make them quite memorable. If White Stripes compares well to them, which album should I buy first? And what are the chances that I'll be disappointed?

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Buy "Elephant"...that's one of the best albums of this current decade. It's got a couple of their more familiar songs "Seven Nation Army" and "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself", plus the awesome "Ball and Biscuit". "White Blood Cells" is pretty good too, but "Elephant" is heavier and funnier.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ball and Biscuit is my favorite WS song.

Good call.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Has anyone heard Ween's 12 Golden Country Hits album? I loved that album.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The music world is better because both of those bands started, and they should both be appreciated for long past their time. Jack White has been King Fuckin Midas for a few years now. Everything recorded with him in it is solid.

If you love rock music from any generation and you haven't given the Stripes a solid listen, I'm sorry for you. You're missing out. They are at or near the top of some outstanding bands out there right now that most people don't get the opportunity to listen to. Fuck you radio.

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I'd suggest "De Stijl" from the White Stripes. It's my favorite. "Get Behind Me Satan" is great too. Really you can't go wrong with any of them. Well, I wouldn't buy their self-titled CD. It's OK, but my least favorite of their five albums.

12. The only Ween song I've knowingy listened to was the strangely hilarious "Push the little daises and make them up come" ... also, anyone else listening to the Silversun Pickups?

Back to the topic: Pearl Jam is the best band of all time.

Draft saved Draft deleted