1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the White Stripes the Pearl Jam of this decade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, May 1, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would rather be compared to Zep, too.

That said, whoever compared them to Zep has rocks instead of gray matter.

2. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Local H, right? And an appropos reference on this thread, as they were a two-person outfit, as well.

Once saw Stew Scott jamming to them at the Final Four.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

A few comments --

I don't see the comparison between the White Stripes and Pearl Jam, except for the fact that both are excellent bands, both of who have inspired WAY too many copycat bands.

The White Stripes are much more bluesy, IMHO.

A few comments on comments:

If you think Pearl Jam isn't political, you aren't paying attention. Please see Grievance, Do The Evolution, Soon Forget, etc.

If you think they lack irony, you aren't paying attention. Please see Corduroy, In My Tree, Off He Goes, etc.

And if you think they haven't changed their sound at all since they started, you REALLY haven't been paying attention.

Go listen to No Code, and then check the release date.

Binaural wasn't my favorite by any means, but it has aged well, and the last record was great.

Meanwhile, Ten, Vs. and, to a lesser extent, Yield, are among the best rock records ever recorded.

And Mike McReady is possibly the most underrated guitarist of all time.

I yield my remaining time...

4. pallister

pallister Guest

If Jack White is really talented, he'll put out his next album with a well-trained bear on drums. I'd buy it.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Correct. For some reason, that song went through my head while reading the first posts.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Oh Pearl Jam are political...they're just not as political as the Clash. Hell, the only bands more political than the Clash are Rage Against the Machine and Fugazi.
    And I think they have a bit of irony, but I couldn't imagine them doing anything as absurdist as "Zooropa" or "Pop"...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I choose to think of them not wasting an entire album on that crap.

But you do remember Stupid Mop and Dirty Frank and all the other "joke" songs they recorded immediately following Vs, right?

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

no code is my favorite pj album -- by far. just sayin'.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Mine, too. By a nose ahead of Yield.

Here's the funny thing. If I have to make a list of my favorite PJ songs, none from No Code show up, with the sometimes-exception of Smile.

But as an album, it's the best work they've ever done. Tremendous range.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Each are one of the best bands in their respective decades.

11. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

As I told my best friend not too long ago:

Eddie Vedder such a goddamn good singer he makes me happy for a week when I seem them live.

Jack White, on the other hand, is so frigging awesome that after I hear him I want to cry.

I guess it's somewhat like Robert Plant vs. Johnny Cash.

Right now, PJ, still is A-No. 1, with the Stripes coming in second and Wolfmother third.

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Honestly, I just skimmed you post but that is a great sig. No offense BYH. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted