1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the White Stripes the Pearl Jam of this decade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, May 1, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

You would think all those musicians could have come up with some better music together in the last decade or so.

2. I can't take this Pearl Jam/Eddie Vedder bashing ... so back to the girl on girl avatar thread for me ...

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not really a PJ fan; I'll listen if they're on the radio but haven't bought anything they've done. And I have four WS CDs. But I like your point.

I became a fan of a local band that doesn't play much anymore because the people in it have to earn a living doing other things. I got out of work late on my birthday a few years ago, stopped off to hear some music and was just blown away by this band, really thought they'd make it big. Went to see them a bunch more times when they were gigging regularly and got to know them. Last time the lead guitarist e-mailed me, he was talking about the amount of collaboration, how he misses it, how he doesn't really expect to find that again. I've never been a musician, so I wouldn't know, but this guy has been playing in bands for a long time and made it sound like something rare.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"If my name were Eddie Vedder ... would you like me any better?"

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

As an album, Binaural was kinda meh, but those songs are 100 times better live. They fit in so nicely with the older acoustic stuff like In My Tree when PJ does its Zeppelin-esqu acoustic bits. The Benaroyal Hall CD is phenomenal and you can have sex to it. Not that I would, um, know.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Pearl Jam and the White Stripes are two different bands. Pearl Jam are basically a classic rock band. They're the American Who, a less angry and political Clash or U2 without a sense of irony. Personally, I don't think they get enough credit. They're a great live band, Eddie Vedder is probably one of the best rock vocalists ever and they've got a deep catalog.
    The White Stripes are basically a blues band. They're smaller scale and stranger than Pearl Jam.
    Hell, if I would say any one is the Pearl Jam of this decade, I would give the crown to Radiohead...same quality of music, same passionate fanbase, another great live band. They're just a little less rock.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam stinks on ice.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sesame Street on Ice would probably be the better ice concert, yes. But Pearl Jam outdoors in the summer ... awesome.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Pearl Jam is by far the best live band I've ever seen. I've bought its studio stuff in the past, almost as a sign of support, but all I have in my iTunes is live stuff I bought from pearljam.com.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

That post right in the middle of this "debate" cracked me up.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The White Stripes are the most interesting band to come around since Pearl Jam... Although, as great as the White Stripes are, I'm not convinced that they've put out anything that even remotely compares to either of Pearl Jam's first two albums...

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I don't see how the White Stripes are the Pearl Jam of this generation? In what way?

Both are great. I read once where someone compared PJ to the Dead of this generation. After I threw up in my mouth a little, I thought it was a good comparison just based on the live show and the fan dedication. Record sales aren't as great, but the ams flock to the shows in huge amounts. They can go on forever just playing shows.

The Stripes, mostly just a blues band, but Seven Nation Army was a dance song. I don;t see the comparison at all to PJ in terms of "this generation." But I'm always up for a good musci discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted