1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the White Stripes the Pearl Jam of this decade?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by farmerjerome, May 1, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yeah, yeah I know this belongs on the music thread but I had a bad day and I'm not following the rules. :D

I just checked out the White Stripes' new single on iTunes and I love it. I started thinking that and realized that I haven't heard an album by the stripes that wasn't excellent.

Maybe they're better than Pearl Jam (in a different way of course). I'd have to say that that they're easily the best band out there right now.

Thoughts? Delete the thread? Put FarmerJ to bed?

2. I'm sorry but Pearl Jam is The Pearl Jam of this decade.

3. Don't get me wrong, I like the Stripes a lot, but PJ's still touring and their older stuff just keeps going and going ...

I picture the Stripes more like today's Zeppelin ..

4. pallister

pallister Guest

The White Stripes are much more creative than Pearl Jam. Speaking of WS-related stuff, the Raconteurs album that came out last year is great.

5. Those are fighting words, Pal ...

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Oh come on. Pearl Jam is near and dear to my heard, but the White Stripes' sound changes with every song.

Even though I'm only a huge fan of one PJ album (10) their sound doesn't change as much as the White Stripes.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Oh, I'm expecting fallout from the PJ groupies on the board.

And if I was a band, I'd much rather be compared to Zeppelin than PJ. Just sayin', although I'm guessing your talking about musical style, not overall legacy. I would say the WS are today's Yardbirds.

8. If you mean that both are incredibly over-rated, then sure, I agree.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm a Pearl Jam fanatic who has never heard a White Stripes song, so I have no idea.

10. I was just kidding ... we have our own opinions ... Pearl Jam stumbled there after the sixth album or so but those first five are still awesome ...

11. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Love both bands, but don't agree with the comparison because Pearl Jam is still alive and well. Are they alike in that both groups have great albums? Yes.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

If you want to ask whether Jack White is this generation's Ed Veder, it would be an interesting, and perhaps valid comparrison, by you could replace Meg White with a well trained bear and the "White Stripes" would sound pretty much the same. Pearl Jam is actually a group, one where multiple muscians collaborate and write music together. Whereas the White Stripes is a gimmick for a man who is very gifted and talented, but sometimes unfocused.

Draft saved Draft deleted