1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Vancouver Hornets in the making?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I dunno. In Anaheim they will be the second tenant of the arena (behind the Ducks).

They will command approximately 8% of the L.A. teevee, corporate sales and merchandising market (presuming the Lakers take 80% and the Clips 12%).

IMO their best bet, if they cannot get Sacto to bend over and build them a new crib, would be to go back to KC where a brand new arena is sitting empty. They could have a triumphant "Return of the Kings" parade.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know why any NBA team would consider KC, new arena be damned. It's a market smaller than Anaheim, and its pro sports dollar is already stretched very thin with the Chiefs, Royals and Wizards. At best, an NBA team would have the same poor third banana status that caused the Kings' owners to leave town in the first place.

3. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

If the NBA came to Vegas, Thomas and Mack center would easily become the worst arena in the league.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it will end up being a push at best. The third team in the market - no existing fan base. Hell, they won't even be the most popular "Kings" in the market. Though they will sell out at least four games a year when the Lakers "visit." They won't get any of the big local corporate sponsorships, they'll be lucky to get on cable.

Draft saved Draft deleted