1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the U.S. media as transparent as the government?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Jan 2, 2014.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

You're a silly little person.

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Man, I'm about as far from little as you can get. I'll take that as a compliment.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The story linked points out TV outlets that have done some shady things, some of which I think are being made out to be more shady than they were (things that boil down to personnel issues). PC said, "No, newspapers do it too because the same people own them," without any examples to back it up. I call him on it. He then does the same thing. That's what I mean by "answers that aren't answers." I didn't provide examples because the linked article in the OP already did. It would be redundant.

And my main beef is with larger networks, as I pointed out. The Times was pretty forthright how it handled the Jayson Blair mess when they conducted their investigation a few years back, and most papers will have their editors address issues when a major mistake is made if it rises to that level. The major networks seem to go the other way, as the article argued.

Draft saved Draft deleted