1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are the lions any longer entitled to a t-day game?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Herbert Anchovy, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I agree with your point, but the Lions are trying - sort of.

As opposed to the Bengals. The Brown family was running the smallest scouting department in the league, charging its players for uniform items the other teams comp and running lean, lean, lean.

The Lions spent money, but in the wrong places - see Matt Millen's ridiculous salary figure. Cincinnati, at least pre-Marvin Lewis, was the model for what you're discussing, S-P. The Brown family was taking the revenue and shoving that and the extra savings in its pocket.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Definitely like that idea. Don't strip them of the game yet, put them on probation first.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The Lions suck on merit. They have had every opportunity to field a competitive team and they pissed them away. When an NFL team manages to suck that bad, you know there are a bunch of idiots running the show.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

A long-term solution (yanking the tradition) because of short-term suckage (the 0-12 Lions).

That sounds like an Al Davis idea.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dating myself here, but the Lions-Packers used to the Thanksgiving Day game, every year for like 30 years. Why not go back to that? As noted, at least it's a divisional rivalry-and currently the Lions' only chance of winning games is in their miserable division.
    Also note previous poster's idea about Cowboys-Redskins, that was an annual in the 1970s.
    This leaves CBS out in the cold. I suggest that the third game be an all-AFC traditional matchup. How about Chargers vs. an AFC West opponent at San Diego each year? At least the weather will be nice.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This thread is making Eric Hipple cry.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I just hope they don't take the Turkey Day game away. It's the only time we get on national tv, and its the only time we sell enough tickets to not have the game blacked out.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I have the NFL network and I don't get the football games. WTF?

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Do a lot of teams really want to play on Thanksgiving? One week you have a short week, which can pose problems, especially for playoff-bound teams, in trying to prepare a game plan.

The next week is extra long, which can also be problematic, just look at how teams look sluggish after a bye week.

I've really only read about one person who really lobbied for it to rotate and that was KC's Lamar Hunt.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

CBS had the Lions game yesterday. That's why I had to listen to Phil Simms talk about momma's cobbler and give out stupid iron awards.

I WANT THE TURKEY LEGS BACK! AND I WANT THE GAME ON FOX!

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Do the Lions have a chance to win any of their last four games? I suppose you could convince yourself they can beat Minnesota. After all, the Vikes needed a last-second FG to win at home earlier this season and now play at Ford Field. But after that you've got three pretty good offenses playing a team that has given up 25 or more points in all but one game this season.

0-16 here we come.

12. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

We? What position do you play?

Draft saved Draft deleted