1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Feds now making mlb into a victim?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, May 19, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Going back how far? Mitchell? BALCO?

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Hey Papi just pee in this cup. We protect your identity. Don't worry" / Donald Fehr

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People should be concerned about how this affects their own allegedly confidential drug testing programs (whether it's for medical treatment, employment or insurance or EAPs) but because the feds are going after rich, greedy ballplayers, they're cheering for the feds.

4. cranberry

The Mitchell Report was a bad idea poorly executed. It named dozens of players using less evidence than would be required to discipline them under the CBA. In fact, had MLB attempted to discipline players named in the report it would have been limited a handful of legitimate cases and even they would have had a good chance of reversing discipline in an arbitration.

I believe the real reason Mitchell recommended no discipline was that he fully understood it would undermine his efforts when few if any of the allegations held up to a neutral arbitrator's review.

And the feds can fight steroids in sports all they like and I'll applaud them for it as long as they don't use that "good fight" as a way to disguise blatant efforts to gain continually broader access to employees' confidential medical information without cause.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The crapola factor is this: Mitchell et al crying for the safety and well-being of children and young athletes. Well, gosh, who's selling illegal PEDs to those kids? And if you're serious about solving that problem, shouldn't you also support the effort to put away the dealers and suppliers?

6. cranberry

One would need to be terminally naive (or a reporter trying to breath life into a potentially salacious story) in order to buy into the "it's all about the kids" rationale. So, no, I don't support unchecked efforts to put away dealers and suppliers by any means necessary.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Exactly. But the 'save the children' mantra was ostensibly the cornerstone of Mitchell's work, and MLB's support of it. So isn't it ludicrous then to stand in the way of further investigation?

8. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

Using that logic, we might as well toss aside the fourth and fifth amendments.

9. cranberry

MLB already got what it wanted -- a stronger drug-testing provision in its CBA. Now it's justifiably concerned that its ability to reach agreement with the union on any future drug testing would be severely hampered if confidentiality -- a deal breaker -- can be breached so easily.

How could MLB make a good-faith agreement with the union that the testing was confidential then fail to help protect that confidentiality when challenged?

The union, for its part, was opposed to the Mitchell Report from the beginning, of course.

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I'm sure Bud Selig is delighted to let the Feds take the whole mess out of his hands. So don't expect the league to put up any kind of constitutional fight on the matter. The PA should of course try to mount a right-to-privacy defense, but will have very little popular support for doing so.

To those in favor of the Feds rooting around in the players' lab results, I'd ask this: would we all be so sanguine if they were rifling the drug-test records of Wal-Mart employees - or newspaper employees - looking for leverage to mount a case against local crack dealers?

11. cranberry

I'd bet MLB lawyers are already involved and defending their agreement. They have a lot to lose if they don't demonstrate solidarity with the union in defense of a collectively bargained provision, especially one that benefits the league. In fact, employers around the country should be disturbed by this development because it will adversely affect their ability to obtain such agreements, too.

Hell, the Chamber of Commerce should be getting behind MLB and the PA on this one.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

JG, I think you are right on the first part. MLB is on the opposite side of the table from the players and while they were happy to look the other way for years and ride home run records for attendance, when public opinion turned against them, they predictably didn't want the PR headache--despite their own culpability. They will be quite happy to let the Feds do the dirty work they don't want to deal with. They'd just as soon have kept looking the other way if the whole thing hadn't blown up on them.

The union will fight this hard -- as it tried to fight releasing the results of just the 10 Balco-related players to the Feds. But mlb won't. In fact, I suspect a small part of the owner's mentality would like to see it cause the union to fight them on further drug-elated policy, because it was always really convenient for Selig to be able to say, "We really want to do something about it, but the players association is the bad guy. It's them, not us!" That way they don't do anything and can blame someone else. And it makes sense, too. Because no matter how much mlb does, it is never going to be enough. They'll be testing for steroids with an outdated policy they had to fight tooth and nail for... and players will be having bionic parts implanted and Congress will still be breathing down their backs for not doing enough.

As for the Wal-Mart thing, I'm always suspicious of the "chilling effect" arguments. This isn't a random search and seizure. I think what the Feds are doing is wrong--because they are punishing the players for doing what everyone wanted them to finally do. But we all do know what several people have pointed out. The Feds didn't just pick a group of people to go after out of thin air. This is hardly a witch hunt. They are going after baseball and not Wal-Mart employees because there is no evidence of Wal-Mart employees being major customers of suppliers selling illegal things.

Draft saved Draft deleted