1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the facts really the facts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt1735, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

OK, i know this is barely related to sports journalism... but in doing a Lexis-Nexis search for articles, I came across these two articles that appear to cover the same court case, but, well....

From the St. Louis Post-Dispatch website:
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/illinoisnews/story/AF233DFF09470013862573BF001258D1?OpenDocument

From the Belleville (Ill.) News-Democrat:
    http://www.bnd.com/homepage/story/213463.html
    So was he sentenced to eight years or 16 years? Was the boy 9 or 11? Is he now 13 or 15?

Personally, I think life without parole would have been too lenient... but just surprised me that two people covering the same sentencing hearing can come up with totally different facts.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

WOW! You'd think a simple little piece of information like the age of a victim and the length of a criminal sentence would be easy to get and fact check.

Makes you wonder about the accuracy and legitimacy of all the other pieces of information put in a newspaper every day.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Just to see what will happen, I e-mailed each paper's editor (or whomever reads the e-mails that go to the "editor" in the online links, since there was no name of an editor) saying I believe the reporter got the facts wrong because it contradicts what was reported in the other paper.

4. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Good idea ESJ! I look forward to you posting whatever response you get....

5. EStreetJoe

I'm debating whether or not to simply e-mail the reporters and ask why they got the facts wrong... or should I leave that for someone else to do?

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Do you think the readers caught it? I wonder if they care enough about the case to check other paper's coverage of it.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Maybe the boy was Danny Almonte, and we have no idea how old he is.

8. EStreetJoe

got the first of the responses back:

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Well played.

10. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Apropos of nothing, but I'm amused that the prosecutor's name is J. Christ.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Yes, the facts really are the facts. It's our job to make sure we have them right.

Draft saved Draft deleted