1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are text messages on the record?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ReggieRedbird57, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can call all you want. If you're dealing with certain athletes or coaches, you may be lucky to get that text.

I would sometimes text them back with "I'm going to quote you on that, OK?" if there was a need.

The one time it wasn't, the guy called me and talked to me for 15 minutes and while he wouldn't go on the record, he gave me so much background that I was able to get the GM to change what he had previously said.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Yes, unless it's specifically off-the-record. Of course these Journalism 101 concepts don't take into account sources you need on a continuing basis, who might not like getting burned by something they said off hand.

3. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

"Well, the team we're playing tomorrow just isn't very good. And I don't want that published."

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

When Urban Meyer resigned, there were ridiculous rumors going around about Bob Stoops being in Florida and about to take the job. One of the Tulsa World's writers contacted Stoops, who texted him back to say that he wasn't in Florida and wasn't leaving OU. The writer put it up as a blog, and I can't remember if we ran it as a story or not online. But at the time, Stoops didn't want to spend a bunch of time on the phone shooting down a rumor when a quick text would suffice.

In a case like that, do you run with it, or do you not go with it since it's a text message?

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Lord I hate texting sources.

6. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

It depends on your relationship with your source. I have a reporter who was texting a council member and told him to call or e-mail her a comment on something, he texted it instead. Some athletes/coaches/politicians don't have that close relationship with a reporter, so anything said to one is understood it's on the record. Take the Brett Farve saga and how he responded to somethings in a text message. If you are close with the source, or regularly converse with him or her socially, you should probably double check before you quote a text.
    In all cases, if you get a quote via text, you better make sure the other side knows you're using at such either before getting the quote or after.

7. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I'd treat them like e-mails.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This.

Edit: I only do this once with a source. Once he says its OK to use a text, to me, its understood from that point forward that texts are on-the-record.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Text messages are a good way to start a conversation. Actually, one of my most high-profile football coaches, whose junior college program is nationally ranked every year actually says "please send me a text message" on his cell phone voicemail.

So if I just have a yes or no question, like "Has Running back Joe Smith committed to State U?" or "Have you offered Quarterback Bill X?" then I'll text him. And if I need additional comments, I'll call.

Also, especially when dealing with high school kids, texts are the way to go first. I'll say "This is Steak Snabler from the Podunk Press. Heard you committed to State. Can you call me for a quick interview?"

Draft saved Draft deleted