1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are television sports journalists lazy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, May 21, 2007.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I have empathy for anyone forced to be a videographer. That is one of the worst ideas in the history of TV, which is really saying something.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Seriously. It's hard to throw stones. I've seen, heard and maybe done a lot of stupid, ill-prepaired stuff while working for a newspaper.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was referring to the guy who didn't know what a ground rule double was. It sounds like the woman with the scoring issues was definitely a one-man-band reporter.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The number 1 station in our market is starting to switch to videographers. I hope it kills them in the ratings.

(I'm sure it will be a shock for the print folks to know it's a Gannett station.)

5. KP

KP Active Member

There is nothing fun about being a one-man-band, but even if I was shooting or even back at the station logging the game, I always kept score, it's how I remember a game. Write the timecode at the top of the individual box.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

what chazp's original point was that A) she didn't know the games she was covering (she more or less barked at the student assistant on loan from a D1 college who provided score sheets immediately, but was bogged down with other work to actually get to recaps); B) kept getting others to lug her equipment for her to and from her car (camera and editing machine) and C) told others in the press/control tower to be quiet so she could speak...
    It got old after a while.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

There's a difference between the actual sports reporters/anchors that a station hires and the camera crew. Shooters as they are often refered to as don't need to know anything about anything they shoot, they just need to get the footage for the anchors to voice over.

When I was at Loudon, NH last year for the Nextel Cup race the guy shooting for Comcast was screaming to the person on the other end of his cell phone during a press conference following qualifying. Didn't realize what was going on around him. All he cared about was that he got the footage his boss wanted.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Again. She wasn't shooting shit for anchors to voice over. She was a reporter shooting her own stuff, doing her own voice overs and standups.
    And his beef wasn't with what she shot in Loudon or sending shit to anchors or the demise of a photographer/reporter combination. It was with her getting others to lug her shit, explain stats, shut up when she was talking and do everything for her.
    And chaz, the specific sports photographers in the largest TV market in the state have a better knowledge of sports than you do. But sometimes, they have to send non-sports photogs out to sports events, just like they did at your second-round of substates. It is possible that the photographer did not see the play. by bounce over the fence he could have meant bounced after it went over, not bounced and cleared it.

9. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

While covering a particular game, I was shooting photos in a designated area for photographers. Also in the area was a TV cameraman from a station in our state's largest TV market.

That's the person I was refering to, not the female reporter!

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Why do you give them to them?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually I have no problems if reporters from two of the stations ask around here. They hustle and work their butts off. Main prep guy tells them all to call back because he has stress management issues after 6 p.m. any night he works prep slot.
    But when one network affiliate has its preening peacocks call, we are on deadline when I answer. Go away.

Draft saved Draft deleted