1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are television sports journalists lazy?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, May 21, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The particular broadcaster in question also asked for help carrying her equipment the 150 yards from the parking lot to the central tower -- every day. She recruited workers, other TV photographers and others for help. One day, she actually told a groundskeeper, after asking, that she didnt want his help because his hands were dirty (she wound up getting him to do it anyway).
    She also told those around her to be quite during games as she was doing voice overs, then wondered why she was steered to the end of a row instead of next to the official scorer and others who were going to have to speak during the event. on friday night, well after the games were over, we noticed her equipment still in the maintower. On the way out of the parking lot, she came roaaring in, almost running two of us off a narrow road, to get her equipment.

This one of which chazp speaks was lazy and was airy.
    Not indicative of all TV foofs, but this one?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

TV management types are the biggest fucking bozos in the business. It's not surprising at all they'd hire a dingbat who looked pretty. But I also wouldn't paint all broadcasters with a broad brush either.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So are you guys mad because someone is "lazy," or because you helped someone be lazy because you couldn't say no?

4. Lyric

Lyric Member

All the money's in anchoring.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not mad. And funny, she never asked me.. and I'm a warm, fuzzy person too..

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Maybe a manicure would help?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Me or her...
    I thought she'd have to improve to be average, but that's me.
    She kept doing her voice over and two other members and I would try very very hard not to laugh at her.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

There you go with the members talk again.

P.S., she told me she likes you.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Without his members, he wouldn't be slappy.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Funny, she told me when she squinted with her good eye, you were demonstrably hot.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Wow. Reasoned responses to a TV journalism question. I'm so proud of all of you! ;D

I would be very, very surprised if the photographer in question was a sports photographer. He was more likely a general assignment photog who had to pick up a quick sports shoot. Sports photogs are getting rarer and rarer, particularly in smaller markets. (We didn't have one for a few years, and I'm in a top 15 market.)

As for the issue about keeping score... there's no reason why a TV person in a smaller market would ever keep score because they'll almost invariably be shooting the game. When I shot sports I'd keep notes with the timecode for each key play, but I sure as hell wouldn't be filling out an actual scorebook. (And honestly, there's almost no circumstance when it would be useful in TV. You don't have time for the level of detail that keeping score would allow.)

As for pay, it's brutal in smaller markets. I was in a 100+ market in the early 90s. My first station instituted an across the board 15% pay cut for news personnel. It was less for photogs, though -- they just dropped to minimum wage, which was barely a cut at all. At the time, no one in the newsroom -- not even the main anchors, who had been there for years -- was making more than $19k a year. Reporters at the local paper were paid far more. (I was lucky - I was laid off and got a job at a better station across town.)

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, i think she was more than just a photog. She was shooting her own standups too in addition to doing voice overs.
    And as anyone who heard her talk about the 3 p.m., it was a defensive battle between Huntsville and Dothan.
    over and over and over and over and (shhhhhhhh I'm trying to tape) over and over and over again.

Draft saved Draft deleted