1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are sportswriters funny anymore?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Patrick, Olberman and Kilborn were funny.

Three out of five wasn't bad.

2. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Sports are less fun anymore, too.

3. Humor is subjective, but whoever started this thread must be making a point to avoid reading online-only writers on principle. As mentioned previously, Drew Magary, Spencer Hall and Jon Bois are all very, very funny writers. I'm biased because I work with him, but I think Trey Kerby of The Basketball Jones blog is the funniest NBA writer out there.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Before Reilly thought he was the funniest thing since Groucho.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/rick_reilly/news/2003/07/01/reilly0707/

Joe Delaney drowned 29 years ago yesterday.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can't say I agreed with my friend about a lack of humor today. I started the thread. I read all those folks.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Mayne was as well.

Steiner and Mees had their moments.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

There is funny, and then there is funny within the rules, which is harder, or at least different. So I would eliminate bloggers and even most book and magazine writers. A lot of really funny stuff gets said off the cuff in newspaper newsrooms, but we simply could not print it. Say what you want about that, but then you are saying you prefer apples over oranges.

Worked for a guy when I was starting out who I didn't think was all that funny in real life, and he wound up doing some standup comedy on the side a while later. Never saw his act, but I would guess he could say some things at the club that he never could say in the paper.

Back to the topic, we might have had more consistently "funny" sports writers in the 1980s (many would say Jim Murray was the all-time funniest, but I wasn't really a fan of one-liner after one-liner after one-liner and I probably laughed more at Scott Ostler's stuff when he wrote for the LAT). But I've always preferred the columnists who could be funny one day, rip somebody the next day, make you cry the next time. And make all of it look effortless. He'll always catch shit on this board for one really awful attempt at humor, but the aforementioned Whicker was for decades the best I've ever seen at having command of all his pitches consistently. Unless you want to count Red Smith, who would just sneak in the funny stuff sometimes -- and you knew the rules he was following were harder than anyone else's.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Love Simers.

To me, the biggest problem is that there are a lot of people who think they're really funny...but aren't. I'd absolutely put myself in that class, for much of my career. I'd have (what I thought) was a killer line and it would come out totally flat. What I've learned with experience is that there are different ways to be funny. If you're not Simers or Magary (who is great, too), you have to save your bullets. And, most important, you must learn delivery.

Crimsonace is 100 per cent right about TV, though. The problem is much bigger there. ESPN created the "snark-anchor" -- and some of those guys were great at it. Problem was, everyone began to think that was the way to get to the top, and not everyone can actually do it.

When you can't, it's painful.

It's now gone that way with interviewing. The Score (the TV station in Canada I used to work) had a couple of guys who were very good at the funny, ad-lib interview. Then EVERYONE started to do it. And, not everyone can do it well.

To be a great section (or TV show), you must have a mix. Not everyone can be a comedian.

9. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Full disclosure: I am in my late 20's.

My generation definitely takes itself way too seriously, and thinks they're gonna save the world with their sportswriting, and therefore isn't very funny. I find older generations to have more a sense of gravity and humor about the business -- we're in the "toy department" after all, aren't we?

10. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

There are a bunch of sportswriters I find funny - - more often than not. In no particular order:

TJ Simers - LA Times

Scott Ostler - SF Chronicle

Steve Rosenbloom - Chicago Tribune

Gene Collier - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ray Ratto - Foxsports.com

Greg Cote - Miami Herald

Dan Daly - Washington Times

Bob Molinaro - Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot

Dwight Perry - Seattle Times

David Whitley - SN.com

Brad Rock - Deseret News

Frank Fitzpatrick - Philly Inquirer

... and probably a few others who will come to mind an hour after I post this.

Draft saved Draft deleted