1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are slow drivers really inhumane on the road?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Um, unless you live on Mars, that's not even close to reality

There are two speed limits: the posted one and the reasonable one.

If you're on an expressway with three lanes on each side and it's a clear day with little traffic, driving 120 kph in a posted 100 kph zone is not unreasonable. You are not a danger to anyone and the cops won't stop you

However, if you're driving on the same road and there's a snow storm, the reasonable speed may be 60 kph. If you're driving 100 kph in that instance you're a danger to everyone on the road and the cops should nail your ass.

Always funny to see in winter that the majority of cars ending up in the ditch are SUV drivers. They don't understand that 4WD has dick to do with stopping quickly in the middle of a snow covered highway.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Um, the Martians are HORRIBLE drivers.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The express lane on 95/395 in and out of DC is 65 while the regular lanes are 55. During my commute (express lanes), I'll often be going 80-85 and I'll still be the slow guy in the right lane. Which is fine. It's the easiest, quickest 30-mile commute ever.

I grew up in the sticks always hearing "those crazy city drivers are the worst." Well, it's the opposite.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Don't fool yourselves, speed demons. You're not good drivers, just currently lucky motherfuckers who will soon either a) kill a bunch of people; or 2) die in a horrible one-car smashup.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And, coincidentally, from today's Toronto Star about driving in Germany

http://www.wheels.ca/columns/article/800928

“You learn that the autobahn demands focus. You don’t drink coffee in the car. Best not to have rock radio on and don’t feel that this is a good time to sing ‘We Are the Champions!’ ”

This kind of discipline and coolness is part of Driver Ed, he says.

“It’s pretty different from Canada and includes at least 30 or 35 hours with a teacher. You go to theory classes for weeks before you’re allow to do the written test. In the car, the teacher has duplicate controls. You cover city driving, winding hill roads, night driving and, of course, the autobahn at high speeds.”

And some people here figure it's OK to text and talk on their cell while driving.

6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

What I hate is when I'm passing someone in the left lane and some douche riding my ass will try to cut through the small opening between me and the car I'm passing instead of giving me an extra 2 seconds to get in the middle or right lane so he can pass safely.

BTW - how many people know the laws regarding who has to yield at an unmarked intersection? (no light, no stop sign, no yield sign, etc.) Because based on the dicksmacks who routinely barrel through these intersections, I'd say less than 5 percent.

7. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

It's supposed to be a 4way stop

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You yield to traffic on your right (at least in Illinois).

That's the only accident I've ever been in. I'd never seen an unmarked intersection in a residential area before, so I just assumed that he had a stop sign because I didn't.

9. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

These intersections exist still? Maybe it's because Rhode Island is somewhat densely populated, but I'm trying to remember the last intersection I saw that didn't have any signs, excluding the ones that we clearly ripped down.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

We're seeing more roundabouts installed here. Much better solution in a lot of cases than four way stops or even stop lights.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I LOVE roundabouts! They are all over Europe, of course, and they make things so much easier!

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I do too.
    Premise is simple.

Everyone who enters it has to yield to the car that's in the roundabout i.e. on the left.

No sitting at stupid traffic lights for 90 seconds when there isn't a car within 500 metres.

Most stop signs are also unnecessary. In the majority of cases a yield sign will do.

The problem with yield signs (at least from my experience) is that a huge number of people don't know what they mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted