1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are slow drivers really inhumane on the road?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, driving slow in the left lane is dangerous, irresponsible and in a lot of jurisdictions, unlawful.

Once again, the left lane is the passing lane. If you're not passing and you're not driving at the effective speed limit, you have no business being there.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Which is why I hate left exits. A lot.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

On the freeway I usually drive on, I tend to stay in the left lane, because there are plenty of idiots who don't yield coming into the right lane from an on ramp.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly, but I really only get annoyed if I'm blocked in and left with no way around.

The road I was on when this happened was divided four-lane but not controlled access; there are occasional places to turn left. I understand this, but when you drive 10 miles blocking someone from passing, that's a dickhead move.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If everyone drove the speed limit instead of making up their own rules about how fast is appropriate, a lot of these etiquette and safety problems would be resolved.

That said, drive defensively and do everything you can not to block someone else. In general, just be aware and don't be a dick.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Actually, traffic would be clogged up worse than it is now if everybody drove the speed limit because there would be no separation. People going 70 or 75 in a 65-MPH zone keep traffic moving smoothly. When traffic is artificially slowed down to 55 or 60 on 3 or 4-lane highways in metro areas it invariably clogs up because there is so little speed differential.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

That is kind of contradictory, don't ya think? It says to stay in the right lane, so why would you be driving in the far left lane with nobody in front of you? It's like breaking your own rules.

And some people have alluded to the middle lane being like a black hole, and I agree. The middle lane is where go to drive faster than the speed limit but not fast enough to be going 85. It is like the lane of equilibrium, while the other two lanes are just shit shows most of the time.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

At any rate, any semi truck driver who drives 80-85 in their truck is a moron. No one can honestly say that speed is safe. Even 70 is pushing it for most large trucks.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I always wonder if people driving in the left lane when the right lane is wide open are just ignorant or if they know they should be in the other lane but just choose to be dicks. It's like going to the 10-items-or-less lane at the grocery store with 30 items when there are two regular, staffed, open lanes right next to you. I don't get why it's so hard to understand. And I've always maintained that maybe 10 percent of people who have licenses can actually drive worth a damn.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah, like that wouldn't cause more problems.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

People should spread out more and stop living in cities, then.

I'm full of solutions.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You're full of something, but it ain't solutions ...

Draft saved Draft deleted