1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are slow drivers really inhumane on the road?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ah, so you're the dickhead behind the wheel.

Left lane is a passing lane. Get the fuck over and zigzag if you have to, but if not then you're going to have people on your ass because 82 isn't fast enough for some of us.

2. Brad Guire

Brad Guire Member

I-84 in Idaho has a 75 mph limit, therefore people drive 90. Way too fast for me, so I stay in the right as much as I can. The assholes doing 90 can drive it all the way to the crash site for all I care.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If there are four cars on the highway in a five mile radius, you know where you drive? The right hand lane.

On a three lane section of highway, the right hand lane is usually the fastest lane. Most of the dickheads in the middle lane should be in the right hand lane but because they're afraid of merging traffic, they stick in the lane that's the most dangerous---you can get hit by other cars from two lanes.

Then there are the Starman people who drive in the passing lane because they've decided what the optimum speed should be regardless of what other drivers are doing. They're the most dangerous because they encourage the lane jumpers.

At the end of the day I can drive the 550 kilometres on Hwy 401 from Toronto to Montreal in the right hand lane and get there faster and more safely than the people pissing around on the other two lanes.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm gonna save this post for posterity and use it regularly on other threads. :)

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

We've got a 55 out here ... on a five-lane interstate. In two spots. Yes, I know it's 2011. And the cops in that zone are always out in force.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

They have 55 mph zones all around D.C. NO ONE obeys them. If anyone ever did 55 on those stretches, there'd be all manner of accidents.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Speed limit on our major highways in Ontario is 100 kph (about 60 mph) but the EFFECTIVE speed (what about 80% of the drivers do) is 120 or about 70 kph.

You might get pulled over at 130 (80), probably at 140 (85) and at 150 (90) you'll get your car impounded and have your license suspended. Your insurance will likely be cancelled and you are fucked.

8. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

As annoying as slowpokes in the left lane are, those aren't the most annoying drivers to me. Worse is when you're on a two-lane city street and someone decides they need to pull out right in front of you, even though there is NO ONE behind you. Not only do you have to slam your brakes, but the moron then decides to go 10 under the limit. If you were in such a hurry to get on the road, why are you going so slow?

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Speed limits on interstates and parkways were raised from 65 to 70 a year or two ago here.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Best thing ever to happen to that state (aside from me moving out). :D

I drove to Charlotte several months back, and a large chunk (if not all) of SC is like 55. It was HORRID.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Who are you calling a dickhead?

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I drive I-5 far too regularly through central California, which is essentially the audobaun of California. The rules of the left lane being the passing lane kind of go out the window (though in California there isn't a true passing lane rule. Slower traffic must keep right, but that's about it). Trucks have a speed limit of 55 where the rest of the drivers have a limit of 70. For that reason, I prefer the left lane to cruise in for most of the drive just to avoid the semis. You have to be willing, however, to get out of the way of other cars who come flying up on your bumper for no other reason than to keep them from trying to pass on the right and creating a bigger hazard. I must say people who do 65 in the fast lane down I-5 are beyond irritating. You get those doing 60 trying to pass a semi and you create a log jam, I want the right to drive you off the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted