1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are slow drivers really inhumane on the road?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by NickMordo, Nov 1, 2011.

1. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

As someone who drives fast but has never gotten into an accident (knock on wood), I consider myself safe and quite competent when in my vehicle. I am the driver other cars would like to be behind because I follow the "rules of the road" and still get to my destination in timely fashion.

LZ Granderson seems to think that is point as well: http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/01/opinion/granderson-right-lane/index.html?&hpt=hp_c2

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I got behind someone driving 60 in a 70 mph zone the other night on my way back from a football game. And I couldn't get over in the right lane because there was a semi in it and I didn't want to cut him off. The dude had plenty of space to get over and let me go by, but noooooooooo. Dumbass.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

When I am in the left lane, I push the speed limit. Hard.

On the open freeway I go 80-83 in the 70 zone.

That's fast enough. The fuckers who ride up on my bumper can kiss my ass.

4. KYSportsWriter

I absolutely hate being the lead car when there are three or more in a lane with me. I'm always paranoid a cop is going to bust me for speeding, so I usually let the cars behind me pass and then get behind them.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Always better to be the first car than the last. If everyone's doing the same speed, the cop will get the last car since it's the easiest to pull over. Think he's going to pass three other cars that are speeding and pull up next to the first car and try to get THAT car to pull over? Way better to be first if the speeds are similar.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Everyone going slower than me is a moron and everyone going faster than me is an idiot.

/Carlin

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wrong answer. The left lane is a passing lane. If someone is going 85 to your 80, move over.

8. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Couldn't disagree more. The whole "that's fast enough" point of view is what Granderson is talking about. It's not up to you, or anyone, to decide what's fast enough for everybody else. If you're in the left lane and somebody behind you wants to go faster than you, it doesn't matter how fast you're going. That lane is for passing people.

That, of course, all depends on whether there's anyone in front of you in the left lane and how close you are to that next vehicle. If you're close enough to the car in front of you to let the driver know you're trying to pass too, then riding your ass is a dick move.

9. KYSportsWriter

Honestly, I had never thought about that way.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Traffic in Lane 2 usually moves at or below the speed limit. I want to go faster, thus if I consistently hang out in Lane 2, it will necessitate rapid and repeated Mario Andretti-style zigzag lane changes (the fuckers who do that are the fuckers who should REALLY have their licenses terminated).

If I'm doing 82 in a 70 mph zone, that's not "slow," it's "fast," and it's fuckin' fast enough. Anybody who doesn't like it can kiss my ass.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

It's not the FAST lane. It's the PASSING lane. If you're not passing someone, you move the fuck over.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

That's just dickhead driving. Move the fuck over, it's a passing lane, it really isn't that difficult to comprehend. Who the hell are you to regulate traffic?

Draft saved Draft deleted