1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people with autism faking it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Re: Are people with autism are faking it?

Whereas your parents were such exemplars that they managed to produce a child devoid of compassion or reason. They must be so proud.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Way to be you, SigR.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My father-in-law called just as I finished my last post. I wanted to tell him, "Hey, some whack has it all figured out. It's YOU."
    But I thought better of it because I, well, thought.
    Unreal.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

5. Moderator1

I'm not going to tell her because, as I noted, I'd never see the computer again.
    A guy who admits to knowing little about the subject wails on about something she's researched extensively and insults her parents (and a number of people on here) in the process?
    Yeah, she'd take that real well.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm with you, Sig. There was no need for spnited's post. I thought you raised some interesting points.

My question would be this: When a doctor diagnoses a kid with autism, what is the test? Is it a blood test? A CT scan? What is the diagnostic test for autism? We know it's not like diagnosing cancer or a broken leg.

And in that case, is it all just a guess?

Nice to know that if you don't buy everything someone says here you're immediately labeled an assh*le.

7. Moderator1

There are a number of tests, just as there are for Alzheimer's and other things.
    Because YOU don't understand something, it must not be real. Interesting theory.

8. SigR

SigR Member

I'm not attempting to bait anyone. While I'm no expert, I'd say I have as much knowledge as anyone else in the arena and enough to reinforce Savage's point and to lend my own shadow of doubt over autism.

Scientists don't even know exactly where or how or why autism develops. My theory is that it isn't so much in the genes as it is in the environment and that yes, there are a lot of people misdiagnosed and essentially fulfill the role they are told to fulfill once they have been diagnosed.

Calling me an ass for having a different opinion on something doesn't solve anything, except perhaps making yourself feel superior to me. If that's what you want to get out of it, then keep at it. If not, prove me wrong, pick apart my argument, whatever.

Just a quick look of some statistics off the net (they may be wrong, but they are probably ball-park correct), 70 years ago 1 in 10,000 kids had Autism. Now 1 in 500 do, and the "epidemic" is apparently growing. Would that be expected given the genetic argument?

You guys can beat your chests all you want about people being an asshole about things. It doesn't change the fact that some of you do a poor job actually thinking about the ideas behind a given concept and are all too ready to let yourself be put to pasture with the rest of the sheep.

9. Moderator1

Sig, I don't feel superior to you. Honest. 70 years ago, fewer were diagnosed with autism. That doesn't mean it wasn't there. There's still a lot of learning to be done with it and, yes, it is misdiagnosed sometimes. So are many other things.
    That doesn't mean it isn't real. Or has something to do with poor parenting. That's what set me off.

10. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Tony, do you or anyone you know need glasses? Contacts? LASIK?

Was a blood test used for the diagnosis? A CT scan?

Oh my God, you mean all those people allowed someone to measure their vision against accepted norms and detemine that their vision deviated enough from those norms to be considered "different"?

I think you should get started on the great myopia boondoggle immediately. Break that story!

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know there are a number of tests. But what are the common factors that they look for in the tests, because the tests are not so much diagnostic tests such as blood tests. Rather, they're tests of how the subject behaves to certain stimuli.

I'm not saying autism doesn't exist. I know it exists. But just saying someone is "autistic" doesn't cover it for me. There are kids who are so autistic they can't function at all in the day to day world. There are other kids who are very mildly autistic and function just fine. They're not the most social, but they function just fine. To lump them all in together is BS.

I don't ask this question to sound like an asshole. I ask because I really want to know. Is there a difference between a mild case of autism and OCD?

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I do volunteer work for an organization that helps kids with profound disabilities, mostly autism. Anyone who came to a session, saw these kids and saw the parents would know there is no way in hell autisnm and poor parenting have any relation. (I'd insert the rolled eyes emoticon here, but I can't figure out how to do it on my Blackberry.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.