1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people with autism faking it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Are people with autism are faking it?

Nearly three pages in before we get the obligatory "Are are they? They are are?" typographical dig in at the thread title? We're not as sharp without the sj copy desk interns working here in the summer.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I've sometimes wondered whether I have Asperger's. Never even knew it existed until I saw a NY Times story on it a couple of years ago.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

the oldest daughter of my best bud wayne, he of the ongoing kidney transplant saga, has asperger's. she's 17. looking at colleges, so highly functional, though much to herself and lacking social skills.

it's heartbreaking to have a child with any form of autism. amanda's doing great in most respects, but her mom and dad are reconciled to her never finding a true love and having a lasting relationship. i mean, i've never received a hug from my best friend's child. :'( :'( :'(

any turd who calls it an act deserves to be tarred and feathered. holy moly.

4. Re: Are people with autism are faking it?

Don't many people in the autistic community say that autism is not a disease or disorder, per se, but simply a uniqueness that should be accepted and celebrated, not "treated?" They compare the treatment of autism to attitudes on homosexuality 30 years ago.

I believe this was in a Newsweek article or something.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think that's what this talk show was about, now that you mention it. Didn't sit well with my wife.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't remember my O'Reilly post for that matter, but I guess I might have made one.
    One thing I just realized is that Michael Savage has a book called "Healing Children Naturally" or something like that. You don't suppose he has ideas for curing asthma or autism in that book, do you?

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When I was young (probably about 8 or 9) my family vacationed at a lake resort with five rental cottages. We became pretty good friends with the family in the cottage next to us. They were from Skokie, Ill. (suburban Chicago).

Their youngest daughter simply would not speak if anyone not in the family was in the room or (if outdoors) in the area. I think she was about 2-3 years older than me, which would make her 11-12 at the time. We'd played catch with the frisbee about three times during the vacation when my mom suggested my brother and I try to get her to talk. I asked why. Just having played frisbee with her the two or three times I hadn't even realized that she hadn't spoken.

She did talk to her family, but never to "outsiders." I wonder if that was possibly some less-severe case of autism.

8. SigR

SigR Member

Once again, most of you fail to see the point he was making with the comment and just get hung up on the superficial argument.

He was suggesting that Autism is a product of our environment, not a biological or genetically inherited syndrome. I'm one of those who believe that autism is largely a result of poor parenting and over-diagnosis by physicians. The condition itself is worsened by adopting whatever set of norms there are with regard to how to deal with a child with autism. I'm not saying this is the case all of the time, but often I believe that it is, though maybe not as bullshit a diagnosis as ADHD is.

This generation of parents is hyper-involved with their children for the most part, or at least want to be *perceived* to be. If their child is diagnosed with Autism, suddenly they are off the hook for their poor parenting. It's not your fault anymore that you are getting a divorce, actually are way more into yourself that you let on, regret having children in the first place, and most of all just don't want to put in the time it takes to nurture a child--no, none of that is your fault when you get your child conveniently diagnosed with something on the autism spectrum.

Kids develop at different speeds, but most turn out "normal" if their parents have a clue. I'll admit that I'm not overly knowledgeable in the subject area and that I'm just making a common sense argument, but I'd love to see some good statistics on autism...like prevalence throughout the world, socioeconomic comparisons, etc. Statistics compiled by someone outside the autism racket, of course, assuming that I'd assume there was one going in.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

SigR = as big an asshole as Savage.

10. SigR

SigR Member

Good call. I'm sure you'll get lots of pats on the back from the flock of politically correct who circle the skies above these boards.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wow. I'm glad The Queen is gone for the weekend, I'd never get this computer back.
    You surely can't believe that horseshit you just wrote. I assume you are trying to get a rise out of people.
    I hope no one rises to that bait, tempting though it may be.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Yeah, your lack of knowledge in the subject area is obvious.

As is your lack of common sense and common decency.

Do yourself a favor and shut the fuck up before you make an even bigger ass of yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.