1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are people with autism faking it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Of all the repugnant comments I've seen on this board over the years, SigR might have topped them all on this thread.

That douchebag who posted the beheading video wasn't as offensive as your posts in this thread.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Congratulations, you are now officially the biggest asshole ever on this board. And that's saying something.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

SigR, it's almost like you're trying to top yourself.

Welcome to the land we're not allowed to talk about. Say hi to king cranium maximus.

4. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I find it funny that "Savage" has a real last name....Wiener

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

FWIW:

Sorry SigR, although I have issues with the work of many parents today and think we've become a pill-happy society, I don't at all agree that most parents go to great lengths to have their children assigned the label of an illness to compensate for any perceived shortcomings in parenting skills.

My wife is a teacher, trained to work with special-ed students. She has dealt with autistic children, some with severe issues and some with minor.

In her experience (nearly two decades) most parents have fought to the death against seeing their kids tagged with such a label. There are many reasons behind their hesitancy. Many seem to feel that if their child is given such a label it reflects negatively on something they did either during the pregnancy or during the first years after birth.

Most parents, even after hearing from trained professionals and seeing the results of tests that suggest strongly a student requires an IEP (individualized educational program), will argue otherwise.

In general, at least for teachers such as my wife and her colleagues, parents dread being told their child has autism or any other disorder.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Holy fucking wow. Sig, I have recommended you for removal based on that final line. That goes so far over the top it isn't funny. I'd delete it but it has been quoted several times and it speaks volumes - VOLUMES - about you.

Again, holy fucking wow.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And, because I don't trust you to not continue as you are until you are removed, I'm going to lock this. A shame, because it is a good discussion. After you are gone, we'll see about trying it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.