1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are NFL sources purposely giving ESPN wrong info?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

With Mort and Lenny P. I think it's often a case of them throwing so much shit against the wall, that some of it sticks and some of it is absurd. I've been told from friends at ESPN that the WWL essentially encourages this because it keeps people interested...

When John Clayton is wrong, I take notice, because he's the one who is almost never wrong... I've lost track how many times the other have given out bad info...

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

And yet we and the public consume ANYTHING they still say as gospel.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Love it that it fucked up some fantasy nerds' night.

4. WS

WS Member

I had Maroney and Kenny Watson on standby. Thankfully I got the yahoo sports report, and not SalPal and played the right guy.

Doesn't matter, because my team got its ass kicked anyway. but this fantasy nerd didn't lose because of SalPal

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Maybe the WWL guys just suck.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Exactly.
    As competitive as pro sports is, with the prizes being as big (and fiscally pleasing) as they are, what team wouldn't strive to keep injury info and player lineups secret, or even divulge murky info regarding such topics?
    And Lord knows, there's not a coach with any pro league team that gives a damn about some average Joe's "weekly fantasy line-up".
    As a consumer who enjoys seeing competitive games and competitive seasons unfold, I'd encourage all teams to keep as much secret as possible.
    And besides, if some reporter is able to break a story that someone's starting or someone's sitting, ahead of time, that's a good scoop for them. A feather in their cap. A notch in their belt.

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Yes, but the rules in place to report injuries in the NFL are for average Joe. They are for folks with "The" for middle names. Bobby The Bookie. Michael The Mobster.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

You are able to alter your lineup on Monday night?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

SalPal has no credibility on anything that's not related to the Philadelphia Eagles. Mort has had so many bullshit stories over the last few years that he may already have lost all of his credibility. Lenny P. is so in bed with the agents that he never writes a negative story about any of the clients of the agents who help him out...

John Clayton may be the best NFL reporter around. Michael Smith really does a good job as well...

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

John Clayton is the master of the obvious.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure about other sites, but Yahoo leagues do not freeze players in position until shortly before their team's game starts. Since he had two guys in the Monday nighter, that was probably why he could do it.

By the way... interesting theory. Can't say a few bad reports by ESPN is enough to take it that seriously...but it's interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted