1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are NFL sources purposely giving ESPN wrong info?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 1, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Feel free to a.) have a mod shift this to the J board and/or b.) dismiss the followings as the ramblings of a conspiracy theorist.

But ESPN swung and missed twice this weekend re: whether or not an injured player would suit up. Tonight, it was Sal Paoalonaofdsauaouwreoasdoa-10 saying Laurence Maroney would play for the Patriots. Less than an hour later, he reported that Maroney was inactive and that Sammy Morris would start.

Yesterday, John Clayton reported the Giants' Derrick Ward would be inactive. But he played that night for the Giants.

And of course there was the whole Michael Vick thing, where ESPN's NFL reporters did not exactly cover itself in glory.

So my question: Is this just a run of bad luck by ESPN? Or are NFL sources giving ESPN wrong info on purpose with the intent of steering readers/viewers to the NFL Network and NFL.com? Is this part of the NFL's for worldwide dominance--to control the message to the point where the official version is the only one?

Thoughts?

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I think the players playing/sitting it may just be good old misinformation.

I doubt it's any serious conspiracy to direct people to the NFL's official outlets.

3. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Funny you brought this up, I just got done kicking my dog because of Sal Paoalonaofdsauaouwreoasdoa-10 telling me Maroney would play. Then, two minutes before kickoff and three minutes after the lineups were locked, Michele Tafoya tells me Morris is starting.

I would have won my game.

Yeah, yeah, no one cares about my fantasy team.

But I just wanted to say fuck you Sal Paoalonaofdsauaouwreoasdoa-10

4. I don't know about the NFL, but Bellicheat is notorious for not disclosing injuries.

No surprise.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is it a function of having to have *something* to say before a game? If two teams come into a game all but in perfect health (i know, that never happens), what's SalPal and Co. going to report on during these ridiculously long pregame shows? The weather?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought you Brownie fans loved dogs. Or is it only dawgz?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

It'd be one thing if it was reported out of nowhere that these players were injured. But their questionable status was known all week (even if Belichick probably didn't say a word about it).

It's probably just a coincidence. But given the ruthlessness of the NFL, I'm not completely sure.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

It's a fun theory, if nothing else.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, interesting theory, but dont think they could get away with it...once, twice maybe. After that... nope...

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe it's just the self-proclaimed Wordwide Leader needing to have "inside" information so badlty that guys are reporting "facts" based on a single source who might not know what they're talking about.

So whle Maroney was a game-time decision, SalPal can't report that because it's not a stroy. And "somebody" told him Maroney was going to play, so that's what he runs with.

In other words, no NFL conspiracy, just more ESPN bull shit.

11. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Don't forget Mort's bogus info on Eli Manning ...

12. boots

boots New Member

Loose lips sinks ships. Teams don't want to give out information and wouldn't if not for league mandates. But that information can be variations of the truth. Many times it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted