1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are NASCAR announcers required to mention "Sunoco fuel"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Aug 7, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Quoted for posterity. No combination of those words have ever been used in relation to me.

2. lono

lono Active Member

Just stating the truth.

You go, girl.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

What's funny to me is that you come into the pits to "pack it full of Sunoco Racing fuel," but at the end of the race when your tank is dry (because that motherf*cker Letarte can't call a race; go Dale Junior whooooo) and you're getting passed by everyone and their mother, you're just "out of gas." You're actually "out of Sunoco Racing fuel" but perhaps that would somehow connote that Sunoco Racing fuel is not a miracle elixir.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I believe Gordon won the Brickyard 400 right during that time. So, instead of knocking the stuff off the car, he stopped his car on the frontstretch and celebrated on the track instead so there couldn't be a Powerade bottle stuck on his hood. I've noticed far, far fewer drivers going to Victory Lane and instead celebrating on the track. So, of course, TV stays on the post-race longer to make sure they get their interview with the sponsors in the background.

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I don't watch a ton of NASCAR, so I don't notice it there, but I do know the TV network often requires sponsors to pay them a royalty to get mention on their network, too. ESPN is notorious for this. I can remember being at Kentucky Speedway looking out at "Meijer Indy 300" painted on the tri-oval grass, and the ESPN graphics were billing it the "Optima Batteries 300."

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I didn't even know that was the race's new name. I called it the Pennsylvania 500 in my newscasts.

Draft saved Draft deleted